Re: What determines whether an engagement program will skip a cast? campaign and/or program membership

Anonymous
Not applicable

What determines whether an engagement program will skip a cast? campaign and/or program membership

When casting programs within an engagement program, what will determine whether they will be skipped? Program membership or campaign membership?

The reason I'm asking is that I've read all over these forums that it is program membership, but as I'm testing my engagement programs which send out an Email Blast, I can only seem to test each cast one time, because I've already received the email. Removing myself from the Program doesn't let me receive the email when testing a second time.

1. So, do they skip if a lead has already been run through the Smart Campaign, even if you've selected "Each lead can run through the flow every time"?

2. Is there anyway to reset a cast so that you can receive it? E.g in testing.

I can't seen to find any details or documentation on how exactly the skipping works.

Thanks,

Luke

2 REPLIES 2
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Re: What determines whether an engagement program will skip a cast? campaign and/or program membership

Hi Luke,

Once a lead has been sent a specific email by any campaign or program in Marketo, that's it; an engagement program will not send it to the lead a second time.  It's not based off of the lead's program status or membership in a campaign, the engagement program actually checks if that specific email asset has ever been sent to the lead in the past.  If so, it will skip sending that message.  You would need a new lead record in order to repeat a test.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Steven. I did some testing around this and found out that it is indeed not based on Smart Campaign or program status, although if a lead is a member of a program they will be skipped. The Program will also still be skipped if removing the Smart Campaign from the Cast and replacing with a new Smart Campaign that the user hasn't been through.

What's also great is that it isn't based off of an Email within a Program, meaning you can cast anything you want such as a Webhook to an external system.