Re: What consitutes "blocked from emails?"

Anonymous
Not applicable

What consitutes "blocked from emails?"

When setting up a batch campaign, I made sure to put in the smart list filters: 1) Marketing Suspended = False, 2) Black Listed = False, and 3) Email Address = Not Empty. But, when I schedule it, it still shows a pretty significant number in the "around XX leads are blocked from emails."

What other filters is marketo using to constitute an email is "blocked" from receiving emails?

10 REPLIES 10
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Email Invalid, Email Address Empty, Unsubscribed, Marketing Suspended, Black Listed.  You're probably just missing Email invalid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kenny !

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Also remember that the Email Suspended field is not automatically set back to false after 24 hours, so you are actually eliminating people that would otherwise qualify for the mailing. Make sure you use "suspended within last 24 hours" instead.

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I set up a smart list in the Lead Database that I reference as an exclusion. If someone is part of this list, they are blocked.

Any criteria applies:

• Unsubscribed = true
  • Email Invalid = true
  • Marketing Suspended = true
  • Black Listed = true
  • Email address is empty
  • Email Suspended at - in past 24 hours
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to consider making that a checkbox instead of referencing it as a smart list in every campaign, because you'll get better smart list performance that way.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Kristen, what do you mean "making that a checkbox"?  Making what a checkbox?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would create a Boolean field in the database for "Emailable" and have a data management campaign that populates it based on the same rules that you'd use in the smart list (Email Invalid, email empty, Blacklisted, Marketing Suspended, Unsubscribed). If you're using the smart list in every email campaign, the Boolean field ends up becoming more efficient to populate once and then use in your email campaigns because it's easier for the system to process the Boolean field as it just has two values and doesn't have to query a list and then run the five queries off it over and over again.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Got it - that's clear.  Very similar to how we exclude specific leads from appearing in our reporting (employees, competitors, test accounts, etc.).  Instead of filtering by smart list - which you can't do in RCE anyway - we created an "exclude from reporting" field (which is supported by a data management campaign that runs every evening) to key off of in RCE. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, exactly