SOLVED

Re: What are the benefits of sending emails from a different domain?

Go to solution
Liz_Krause
Level 2

What are the benefits of sending emails from a different domain?

I have been asked by my boss if we should be sending emails from a different domain than our main website.  He wanted to know if this would help avoid issues with Google and our website domain reputation.  Not that we have a problem with it, he just doesn't want it to become an issue. 

He has noticed that reputable companies use email domains such as:  websitenameemail.com.   So it's our domain+the word 'email'.   

I would think to do this and if we have landing pages that are on our regular domain, but our from email is a different domain it could look spammy by email filters. 

We are new to Marketo, so I appreciate anyone's insight into this.   Considerations, best practices, etc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do not be concerned about a mismatch between domains linked in an email and domains used in the email headers (From: and Reply-To:). Alignment between header domains and URL domains is of negligible importance.

Do, however, be concerned about overengineering a solution to a problem you don't actually have. 

The best paths to better deliverability from Marketo are (a) to not send spam yourself and (b) to get a dedicated IP so you're not affected by other customers' sending habits.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Do not be concerned about a mismatch between domains linked in an email and domains used in the email headers (From: and Reply-To:). Alignment between header domains and URL domains is of negligible importance.

Do, however, be concerned about overengineering a solution to a problem you don't actually have. 

The best paths to better deliverability from Marketo are (a) to not send spam yourself and (b) to get a dedicated IP so you're not affected by other customers' sending habits.

Liz_Krause
Level 2

What do you mean by other customer's sending habits? You mean where our email servers are hosted?

SanfordWhiteman

I mean other Marketo customers on your shared IP.

No matter how legit your sending and data hygiene practices are, you'll be affected by others who are not as attentive.

Liz_Krause
Level 2

Thanks!