Re: webroot phishing error message appearing when click on trackable link on desktop emails

Fraser_Thomson
Level 1

webroot phishing error message appearing when click on trackable link on desktop emails

In all our marketo emails, when we click on any link in the email that has a trackable marketo link we are getting the following error message

This only happens on desktop and not mobile - urgent fix is required

pastedImage_0.png

Fraser Thomson

FIIG Securities

0477 940 113

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: webroot phishing error message appearing when click on trackable link on desktop emails

Are you sure this actually happens with any Marketo-tracked link, or just links at your particular branding domain?

If the former, not sure what kind of fix you're expecting.

If you're using a security app that's simplistic enough to think that any JS redirect means a phishing attempt, then the only thing you can do is turn off tracking and hope everyone who sends to you does, too.

Properly sophisticated software won't trigger on such an obvious false positive.

Michael_Tucker1
Level 4

Sanford Whiteman​, thank you so much for this!

Michael Tucker
Dustin_Russell4
Level 2

One of our customers just informed us they received the same error from Webroot.  Is this something Marketo would have to clear up with Webroot since it seems to be triggered by the redirect URL and not the actual site we're directing people to?

Dustin Russell
SanfordWhiteman

Is it the URL, or is it the *behavior* of the page?

Is this happening with any Marketo-hosted click tracking domain, or just yours?

Marketo can't change anything here, if it's about redirector pages in general (and even if it pertains to CNAMEs pointing to Marketo's mkto-xxxx.com domains, it's doubtful that anything can be altered).

Dustin_Russell4
Level 2

Hey Sanford,

Unfortunately all I have is a very similar screenshot to the one Fraser posted which I've added below.  Not sure if it's the page itself, or the URL. I don't quite understand your second question.  We only use one redirect/tracking domain (CNAME). I do know that the same Marketo email has driven quite a bit of responses and registrations to a webcast, so for most people it seems to work fine.  Sounds like we have two customers that reported this phishing error.  I'm waiting to see if the second customer is using Webroot.

Webroot_Phishing_Error_1.jpg

Dustin Russell
SanfordWhiteman

You have to have one of these people test another click domain. For example, does this link also come up with an error?  How about this one for comparison?

Dustin_Russell4
Level 2

Hi Fraser,

We were having the same issue recently with Webroot.  I found their website where you can use their URL lookup tool to view your domain reputation.  I tested our Marketo instance's SOAP API endpoint domain as well as our landing page and branding domains. All were marked as trusted sites with the exception of our email branding domain which was incorrectly flagged as high-risk.

You can submit a request through their website to have your URL's reputation changed.  I just submitted our request and received an email back saying that it would take between 24 and 48 hours for the request to be reviewed and processed.

Hope this helps.

Dustin Russell