SOLVED

Activities API nextPageToken

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Activities API nextPageToken

I'm currently trying to debug a problem in our CRM integration where when scraping the API for activities changing, I'm getting the same results over and over.

In my CRM sync script, I start by tracking the last scrape attempt in a database. On the next run of the script, it provides that date (which is stored as EST then converted to UTC) to the paging token endpoint (/rest/v1/activities/pagingtoken.json).

In this example, I store the date as "2017-10-18 14:04:43" in MySQL then convert to "2017-10-18T18:04:43+00:00". After getting the paging token, I send a request to /rest/v1/activities/types.json and retrieve 300 activities for processing. The first activity date returned is "2017-10-18T14:03:10Z" and the last returned is "2017-10-18T14:03:26Z". If I run the script 10 times, I get the same datetimes over and over. The paging token is also always the same.

So as a sanity check, I fired up a REST client and crafted the exact same request to the pagingtoken.json endpoint and got a completely different paging token. I ran that request again & again and got the same token.

So at this point we have a repeatable "CRM" paging token and a repeatable "REST client" paging token.

Now when I take the paging token from the REST client and send a request to the types.json endpoint, the first activity's datetime is "2017-10-20T21:30:35Z" and the last is "2017-10-20T21:30:38Z".

Both of the clients use the same accessToken which is grabbed from "/identity/oauth/token" endpoint using the exact same credentials.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Activities API nextPageToken

Same behavior if you use "Z" instead of offset "+00:00"?

This has the sound of malformed parameters.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Possibly a silly question, but when making a request for a new page, are you passing the value of "nextPageToken" from the previous response into the new request?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a silly question at all.

I run a request for the nextPageToken every time the script runs so it's "live" from Marketo. I never store that data for later, the only way for me to see it in the cron script is by stepping through with a debugger. It's saved as an object property which is accessed when sending the activities.json request to Marketo. Is that what you were asking?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Same behavior if you use "Z" instead of offset "+00:00"?

This has the sound of malformed parameters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it looks like this is the issue. I copied those datetimes right out of my debugger so I know the values being sent from Insomnia (rest client) were exactly the same as through the CRM, as far as I could see. I did a quick string replace the CRM and now I'm getting the same values as Insomnia.

I guess it's some issue with PHP or guzzle. Either way, it's working now. Thank you!