SOLVED

Re: Web Service API for Content Syndication

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Web Service API for Content Syndication

I have a Content Syndication venor for which we are trying to process the leads that come in through this method.  I would like to filter on these particular leads, but i need to understand how to do this.  Currently, I have it set up as a trigger campaign for "Person is CreatedSource Type is Web Service API.  But, there are a couple of issues, how do I distinguish this from any API call, and also, how do I capture leads that are not a New Person?  In this case, I also had populated a field through their API call, ex. Latest Campaign = xyx Campaign.  I have currently used this as a filter to select just those API calls coming from this campaign. My question is twofold: 1.  Is there a better way to have accomplished this?  2.   How do I capture the leads that don't fall into "Person is Created", i.e. already existing leads that I'd still like to capture in this campaign?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, you can use a String field that incorporates a string representation of the datetime + other info, if you believe that will help avoid a proliferation of individual Datetime type fields.

(Though note that Datetimes are strikingly more efficient than Strings at the database level: a String takes up to 50x the storage space of a Datetime, and at least 2x. And Datetimes allow date arithmetic while date-like strings do not.)

So the question is, when this field goes from nothing to being filled with a value, is that considered a Data Value Changes when done with an API integration?

A change from empty to filled is registered as a change. 

The creation of a new lead, with an empty or filled value, is not a change.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman

You're correct that "Person is Created" is not sufficient for those leads who are updated, not inserted, via a generic API upsert.

It sounds like you're already close to the typical workaround. Have the remote app update a Datetime field like LastContentSyndicationUpdate to the current datetime. An alternative would be reusing a general-purpose String field and updating it to "Content Syndication: 2018-01-31T00:22:40" but unless you have a lot of these vendors I'd dedicate a field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for your confirmation on my first part of this question.  Yes, we do have a lot of these vendors, and with the possibility of repeat CS with each of the vendors, for which we would like to track separately.  Currently, I am able to successfully filter for the New Person, I just do not know what trigger to use and possibly what "Add choice" for that filter to access the existing leads coming in and needing updating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have 2 custom fields, 1 has the CS Vendor and the other has the name of the Program (CS YYYY-MM-DD Pgm Title), which also includes the vendor, so when filtering out with these after the trigger for New Person with a Web Service API source, I am able to successfully process these  intended incoming leads.

SanfordWhiteman

I just do not know what trigger to use and possibly what "Add choice" for that filter

Trigger on Data Value Changes + [Constraint] Source.

No Filter, no [Add Choice].

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clearly, I'm a little slow here and I apologize for this.  But, can I basically use any field that will be populated from the API calls? And if so what do I use as the source value?  I'm thinking Web service API is the Source Type, but not the Source, but I just don't know what the Source would be here?

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 2.56.59 PM.png

SanfordWhiteman

No, you can't use just any field unless you're sure it will change.

That's why updating a field to the current datetime always works, because it will always change, by definition.

You don't need new value/old value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm not following?  If I were to create some custom_dateTime field with them updating it with the current time, I get that it would change, and I could do a trigger for Data Value Changes on this custom_dateTime field, but what I don't get is how to distinguish this for all 5 vendors (which could grow), and additionally, these vendors could be involved in more than one Content Syndication marketing initiative for which I'd like to track individually, and trying to isolate out these leads for each of the vendors for each of the Marketing initiatives.   Obviously, I wouldn't create a separate custom field for each CS Vendor and their respective initiative combination, so I guess I'm still confused.

I  provided the vendor with 2 custom fields with a specific custom value, in order to filter on that.  I gave them 2 fields, CS Vendor and LatestCampaignActivity, filled out with the Vendor Name and the specific name for this marketing initiative.  So, in order to grab the non-New Persons, I basically should have a trigger for Data Value Changes of LatestCampaignActivity = CS 2018-02-29 abc Vendor x asset. (which is the field I have had the CS vendor populate for me with this value specific to this campaign).  So the question is, when this field goes from nothing to being filled with a value, is that considered a Data Value Changes when done with an API integration?

Am I on the right track here?  Please let me know your thoughts here.

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you can use a String field that incorporates a string representation of the datetime + other info, if you believe that will help avoid a proliferation of individual Datetime type fields.

(Though note that Datetimes are strikingly more efficient than Strings at the database level: a String takes up to 50x the storage space of a Datetime, and at least 2x. And Datetimes allow date arithmetic while date-like strings do not.)

So the question is, when this field goes from nothing to being filled with a value, is that considered a Data Value Changes when done with an API integration?

A change from empty to filled is registered as a change. 

The creation of a new lead, with an empty or filled value, is not a change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What are Source values for the constraint on a Data Value Changes?  I.e. can you use "Web Service API"?  I'm asking this, since this value does not pop up as an option on the drop down menu, like it does on the Source Type?  So, I'm led to question whether I am using the correct value for "Source" here?

SanfordWhiteman

If you look at the Activity Log detail for one of these Changed Data Value events, you should see it's a valid Source value.