Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

View as webpage link not getting truncated in text version

Here is the code that I use for the text version of our emails:

To view this email as a web page, click here <[[{{system.viewAsWebpageLink}}]]>

And this is what you see in your inbox.

Marketo_View-Web_page-Link.jpg

Normally the links in our text versions get shortened.

For example, this is how another link in our body copy looks:

Marketo_Truncated-Link.jpg

Why not the view as webpage link too? Is this the same result everyone sees? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: View as webpage link not getting truncated in text version

It's because view as webpage is a system token that doesn't get tracked

That's correct!  But not because it's a system token. It's because it's a token, period.

If you simply check the automatically managed "Include View as Web Page" option on the email --

pastedImage_3.png

-- then clicks on the View as Web Page link will be tracked.

A link like

<a href="{{system.viewAsWebpageLink}}">

doesn't get tracked for the same reason any (non-Velocity) token that contains a full URL doesn't get tracked: if the protocol is in the token, Marketo doesn't rewrite the link.

If you want a self-managed Web Page link that still is tracked, build the link to

<a href="https://pages.example.com/index.php/email/emailWebview">

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

It's because view as webpage is a system token that doesn't get tracked and thus doesn't get rewritten using the branding domain. If you hover over the link in the HTML version, it's the same situation.

SanfordWhiteman

It's because view as webpage is a system token that doesn't get tracked

That's correct!  But not because it's a system token. It's because it's a token, period.

If you simply check the automatically managed "Include View as Web Page" option on the email --

pastedImage_3.png

-- then clicks on the View as Web Page link will be tracked.

A link like

<a href="{{system.viewAsWebpageLink}}">

doesn't get tracked for the same reason any (non-Velocity) token that contains a full URL doesn't get tracked: if the protocol is in the token, Marketo doesn't rewrite the link.

If you want a self-managed Web Page link that still is tracked, build the link to

<a href="https://pages.example.com/index.php/email/emailWebview">

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, Thanks for the info re tokens as links - I appreciate that.

We haven't yet switched to 2.0 but we will soon so that is an option to consider. However when I experimented with that in our sandbox it created a layout issue. I don't imagine there's a way to position that exactly where I want? I don't think it's worth sacrificing the layout view to help the text version if this is what we have to live with. Note how it creates big white gaps above the gray columns on the right.

Marketo-Preheader-Gap.jpg

SanfordWhiteman

I didn't say anything about Email Editor 2.0?

Just link to the URL I gave above. Doesn't matter which version you're on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK! Sorry, I was under the impression the View as Webpage setting was only available in 2.0 - looks like I'm wrong so ignore that comment.

And I misinterpreted your other suggestion. I jumped to the conclusion "self-managed Web Page" implied a page we had to manually set up or manage ourselves.

Now I see you really meant self-managed "link." I tested this and it works great.

Funny that Marketo support never suggested this when I had a different problem with this token months ago.

I also just searched on Marketo docs and I can't find this solution either, although it must be in there somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

SanfordWhiteman

It's not in the docs anywhere. It's just stuff we longtimers know.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I am not sure I would like to count clicks on the "view as web page" as clicks, though...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point. Since the problem was  that we were getting huge garbled links in the text version, I've updated this link only in our text versions and not in the HTML version. This way it will (I think) have only a minor impact on click count.

Thanks everyone.