SOLVED

UTM Parameter Order Importance

Go to solution
ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

UTM Parameter Order Importance

If I create a link with UTM parameters that have utm_campaign, utm_medium and utm_source does it matter what order I put them in? I found a site that helped create them that recommended campaign then medium then source but another site created a link with source then medium then campaign.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: UTM Parameter Order Importance

As long as you have only one query parameter of each name (one utm_medium, one utm_source, etc.) the order makes no difference.

When you have duplicate query params (a bad idea unless you know exactly why you're doing it) then a given parser might take the first one only, the last one only, or all of them combined into a list/array. There's no actual standard for which one "wins" (in fact there isn't even a general standard that requires query strings to be considered name-value pairs at all, except for form posts... but that's another matter).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As long as you have only one query parameter of each name (one utm_medium, one utm_source, etc.) the order makes no difference.

When you have duplicate query params (a bad idea unless you know exactly why you're doing it) then a given parser might take the first one only, the last one only, or all of them combined into a list/array. There's no actual standard for which one "wins" (in fact there isn't even a general standard that requires query strings to be considered name-value pairs at all, except for form posts... but that's another matter).

ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Thank you Sanford!