Re: Using Salesforce Leads & Campaigns with Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Salesforce Leads & Campaigns with Marketo

The company I work for has created a highly customized instance of Salesforce which does not make use of the SFDC Lead or Campaign objects. In our system, when a "lead" is created it automatically creates an Account, Contact, Opportunity, and Case. Our tech team has customized the Marketo/SFDC sync so that all new information entered into Marketo is run through what we call the "scheduler," the original Marketo record is deleted, a Salesforce Contact is created (along with the Account and Opportunity), then the new SFDC Contact record is synced back to Marketo as a new Person record.

So my questions are these:

• What data is synced to the Campaign object from Marketo?
  • Is there a workaround that doesn't include the Campaign object?
  • Does the lack of Campaigns and Leads in our SFDC instance hinder the capabilities of Marketo?

Thank you for your time and input! I appreciate your assistance.

–Ian Plumlee

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi,

There's a great article on the sync today that summarizes years of knowledge. But to answer your questions

• Campaign Object is read only on Marketo. As is the Campaign Member Object
    • Marketo can Create a new SFDC Campaign
    • Marketo can modify the Member Statuses if you leave a Campaign as default, but only when the SFDC Campaign is directly synced to a Program (not recommended).
    • Marketo can Add/Change/Remove Leads from a Campaign.
  • What workaround do you you need? You didn't mention anything related to campaigns other than you do not use them.
    • In Admin>Salesforce, you can disable Campaign sync, or you can just block the Marketo User from seeing it.
    • Why let your Marketo User see SFDC Leads? Not sure you need to do this.
    • There are ways to use Contacts only system. There are some tips floating around here. You'll need to setup a process to take net new records and attach properly via Marketo. Now, that *might* mean using SFDC Leads initially.
  • Impact of Non Use of SFDC Campaigns
    • depends how you leverage Attribution and tracking.
      • cannot do call down campaigns with sales (but I'm ok with that)
      • cannot use Primary Campaign Source
      • cannot use SFDC Campaigns with tracking/attribution
      • Use Marketo Programs to  manage attribution.
      • could use Custom Objects to deal with Channel-Offer tracking if you dont want to use Marketo Programs and RCE. Or you could combine them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh,

Thank you for the reply! As a new Marketo user, I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. As for the "workaround" I was referring to, I am wondering if there is any data that will be lost between Marketo and Salesforce if we don't use the SFDC Campaign object.

Best,

Ian

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Honestly in the scenario you're describing I'd be more worried that the fact that when you delete the original Marketo lead you lose all the original attribution and any munchkin tracking!

But to answer your question specifically, you lose ALL the capabilities Marketo has with SF campaigns like updating statuses in Salesforce. So you are probably best doing what Josh suggests and reading the Docs on what you do get with the sync, and assume you don't get any of those things. SFDC Sync: Campaign Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for your insight! I'm currently on a mission to have our tech team implement the Lead and Campaign objects in Salesforce. Seems to me that we would be losing a significant portion of the functionality that is afforded by Marketo if we didn't.

Best,

Ian