Using "Member of Program" filter to show anyone who isn't specific status

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Using "Member of Program" filter to show anyone who isn't specific status

I've been playing with this today and I think I've already got my answer, but I wanted to confirm with the community. I'd like to send an email to promote an event, but suppress anyone with a specific status (RSVP). However, I still want other members of this same program to receive the email (anyone with a different status than originally noted).

Ideally, you would accomplish this using just one Member of Program filter, with the Program Status constraint, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

• If you set Member of Program = True, set the proper program, then add the Program Status constraint to IS NOT "RSVP" you get only people in the program who aren't that status (and leave out people not in the program at all).

• If you set Member of Program = False, set the proper program, then add the Program Status constraint IS NOT "RSVP" you get only people not in the program and you leave out the people who are currently in it but not the RSVP status.

So the only workaround is to create two filters: Member of Program = False and Member of Program = True, Program Status IS NOT "RSVP" -- then use filter logic to recognize both.

Is this what everyone else has experienced?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Using "Member of Program" filter to show anyone who isn't specific status

Your first proposed option should work.  Member of Program True, Status is not x, should include program members, but exclude those with that particular status.  You may want to open a support case and include some examples of the unexpected (dis)qualifications.

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

I want to include members of the program that are NOT that status, in addition to non-members of the program. I can do this with two filters, but I'm just curious if it's possible to do with just one.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Or you could try using just the filter "member of program is True" for the smart list; and then create a CHOICE within the send email flow step to be "program status is not RSVP".  This should provide the same results, but wanted to illustrate another way of doing it.

Josh_Hill13

This is what I would do.

I'd be careful that you mean you only want to send to people who are already in the Program and whose status IS NOT "Registered".

If you meant to also send to everyone not already in the Program, I'd use a different smart campaign and list:

Member of Program=F with no Status option

Dan_Stevens_

Are you sure you're selecting the right program status from the list?  Be careful here because the program status values of this specific filter will list EVERY program status within your Marketo instance - not just those that are associated with that program channel.  This has bit us in the "behind" a few times already.  This is why I like to use the option that I illustrated above since that CHOICE will only list the program statuses for the current program.

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post... but the goal here is to send to everyone in Marketo that is not a specific program status in a specific program. This means that I want to send to people not in the program at all, in addition to people in that program, but not the specific status.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Yes, if that's the case, you will need to use two filters.

Dan_Stevens_

hmm, then you may need to get creative like you included in your original post (although, unless you have a small DB, I'm always hesitant when I hear someone wanting to send something to their entire DB.  But you certainly may have a valid case).  Also, the point I made above is still valid - make sure you are selecting the exact program status, aligned to the appropriate program/channel since Marketo will include every program status in your instance. 

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Good advice about the program statuses, I'm always careful about that.

And just to note, there's additional filters in play that segment down the list further, it was just easier to explain what I was going for by saying I wanted to send it to the entire DB. Thanks for the input!