Re: Using personalized links without JavaScript

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Using personalized links without JavaScript

It should be well-known (though perhaps isn't) that when Marketo rewrites your offsite links, the redirect from the Mkto-hosted branding domain (f.e. click.example.com) back to www.example.com requires JavaScript.  It sets document.location, a primitive method that works fine, but only if the user's browser supports JS. Which sucks because that means you may be flat-out losing .5-1% of users, and even if they copy-and-paste the rewritten links they will see only a white page.

The above is all confirmed by Marketo support, btw.

Support suggested I open a discussion to see how/if any of you are dealing with this usability gap.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option you have is to turn off personalized links, and show the regular link. Then rely on Munchkin tracking to record webpage visits. Here's how to do this:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyqCCAS
SanfordWhiteman

I'm aware that I can turn off click tracking, thanks. Then you no longer get clicks tracked automatically by lead. If I didn't need this functionality I wouldn't be using personalized links/link rewriting in the first place.
SanfordWhiteman

... unless you have some magic that allows Munchkin to associate the lead without manually inserting an identifiable value in every URL you ever use an e-mail.  I am 99.999% sure no such thing exists.