Re: Using Multiple Partitions Under One Workspace

Jared_Kimball2
Level 3

Using Multiple Partitions Under One Workspace

Currently, our business is setup with a 1:1 ratio of workspace:partition.

However, pulling reports on all of our brands is extremely time consuming in this current configuration and there are a couple of other reasons why we are struggling with this configuration.

I'm trying to test a method to switch our configuration to a 1:x or workspace:many partitions without disrupting the business campaigns and processes. All while trying to prove out the model to see if it will be a solid solution that we could focus on for the next 6 months after we have a proof of concept.

What do you think of this idea/test?

1. I'll setup a single workspace called "Membership Marketing" and place two of our brand partitions under that workspace
  2. Create two different brand folders under this workspace like
    • Brand A
      • Nurture Campaigns
      • Trigger Campaigns
      • Recycle Campaigns
    • Brand B
      • Nurture Campaigns
      • Trigger Campaigns
      • Recycle Campaigns
  3. Create a couple of test campaigns under each brand and then test functionality/results i.e. pulling reports, using segmentations, and etc.
  4. Evaluate if it will meet the business needs more effectively all while helping our marketing team be more efficient at the same time

Does that seem like a pretty good way to test something like this out?

Thanks,

Jared

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

1. Yes you could do that. Most teams have a Center of Excellence or "Global" WS that can see all the data. Use cases
    1. see and affect all data
    2. store program templates, etc
    3. share segmentations across WS
  2. What reports are you having trouble with? << this is really what you need to ask.
  3. There is a cross workspace option on some reports.
  4. What are your business issues?
Jared_Kimball2
Level 3

Thanks Josh! Answers to your questions below...

1. What reports are you having trouble with? << this is really what you need to ask.
    1. Our instance was setup with each brand in its own workspace and partition. However, whenever the marketing team or senior leadership wants email reports they are only interested in the total volume of emails sent, delivered, open, clicked and etc. They are not really interested in seeing a breakdown by each brand. This means that the marketing team has to go into Analytics and create an Email Performance report by brand/partition (times 48 brands) let it run (takes 10-15 minutes), then they export each report into Excel and manually compile all of the Excel files into a single Excel file with the totals. It literally takes them 10-15 hours of work to do this.
  2. There is a cross workspace option on some reports.
    1. Hmmm I'm not familiar with these...
  3. What are your business issues?
    1. The business is trying to get access to email sends (broadcasts vs automated campaigns) so we can start showing how much more valuable the automated campaigns are vs the general broadcast campaigns and how they impact revenue.
    2. Marketers will create an email in one brand and then clone that email into each workspace/brand/partition. I'd rather they be able to use Segmentations and only have to build one email that would work on 90+% of the brands. I'm working on this which is another reason why I'm exploring my options of placing all of the Partitions under a couple of workspaces.
Josh_Hill13

1. and 2 = use the API export to automate this if you don't have RCE to cover all the WS at once. Email Insights won't really help here. Not sure why you'd want total deliverability like this unless you had multiple IPs.
  2. Workspace Issue = create a COE and place the Segmentation there and share it in a Shared folder to all workspaces. This assumes you are using the Segmentation in some fashion?
Jared_Kimball2
Level 3

Thanks Josh for your insights.

1. and 2 = use the API export to automate this if you don't have RCE to cover all the WS at once. (I'll dig into this more with our Database team to see what we can do). Email Insights won't really help here (yeah, we tried it but it was just as hard and somewhat more confusing then using Analytics). Not sure why you'd want total deliverability like this unless you had multiple IPs. Our CMO was trying to help make a case that sending more un-targeted emails doesn't equal more sales. In fact, our automated behavior and lifecycle campaigns account for 60% of the revenue.
  2. Workspace Issue = create a COE and place the Segmentation there and share it in a Shared folder to all workspaces. This assumes you are using the Segmentation in some fashion? (Yep, I can totally do this and am familiar with doing this already. We have about 10 segmentations created however they aren't used by the Marketing teams because of the increase in time load to create a segmented email inside each different partition is extremely time consuming in our current configuration.)
Josh_Hill13

Segmentations are most useful to make smart lists run faster up front OR for Dynamic Content, which does take time to setup, so only larger, longer programs leverage that.