SOLVED

Re: Using GTM for Marketo form validation

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using GTM for Marketo form validation

I want to make an attempt to go the non-captcha route of blocking bots from spamming my company's web forms by testing the Honeypot Method. This method requires me to add a custom validation script to all pages with embedded forms. Our website is managed by an externally, and rather than waiting on them to complete this task, I was wondering if I can just use Google Tag Manager to validate this method? If so, how?

Though I use GTM to track various activities from different platforms we use, I would not call myself an advanced user by any means. Any step-by-step instructions provided would be well appreciated.

Please take a look at the Honeypot Method for a better understanding of what I'm trying to do. My question primarily pertains to Step 4.

Thanks all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The honeypot "method" is not a real method. In practice, it does nothing at all to stop a malicious attack on your form. It takes only one form post to figure out the form requirements, and then a bot can send unlimited additional posts.

Use a reCAPTCHA.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman

The honeypot "method" is not a real method. In practice, it does nothing at all to stop a malicious attack on your form. It takes only one form post to figure out the form requirements, and then a bot can send unlimited additional posts.

Use a reCAPTCHA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh Sanford my old friend, somehow I know I love you even though I've never met you. Love your blunt and straightforward approach.

Thanks again.

SanfordWhiteman

I do try to keep people from spending time on things that don't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity though, could form validation be done through GTM? I just want to know for future reference.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

Through GTM itself, no. But you can inject Marketo form validation code in the page itself through GTM. This validation code will have to use Marketo forms 2.0 API. See http://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/forms/

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

If all you need is to bundle some custom JS with the form, you can do this by putting a <script> in a Rich Text area.  But you have to take one critical precaution, as I've written about elsewhere... let me do a specific blog post on it.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Looking forward to read it

Anonymous
Not applicable

I second Gregoire's comment.

SanfordWhiteman

Publishing today, will link here.