SOLVED

Re: Using Form Locale in the Form Settings

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Form Locale in the Form Settings

I'm a little sheepish to ask what seems like may be a really basic question, but what exactly is the benefit of using form locale in the form settings? I haven't found any great discussions on this, and the Marketo Docs site doesn't say much: Change a Form's Locale - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation​. My understanding is that it helps format dates/times appropriately for that country, but I'm still not sure what the use cases are for that. I've never asked someone on a form to input a date or time (except by selecting from a dropdown list), but I guess orgs might want that. And if there are no date/time fields on the form, is the locale then irrelevant?

Is there anything else I'm missing? For example, we have a global German form, so I would guess Germany should be selected as the form locale, right? However, in the 11-country dropdown list (of which Singapore and Pakistan are included) Germany is not an option to select. What determines that list selection? Thanks for your help in understanding this a little better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

... understanding is that it helps format dates/times appropriately for that country, but I'm still not sure what the use cases are for that. I've never asked someone on a form to input a date or time (except by selecting from a dropdown list), but I guess orgs might want that.

It's not about manually inputting a date-like String, but about displaying the results of a datepicker selection using the appropriate format.

However, the Locale functionality is meaningless unless you also force your forms to use the custom datepicker (not browser-native picker) forever, in all cases. Which no one does.

And if there are no date/time fields on the form, is the locale then irrelevant?

Correct.

However, in the 11-country dropdown list (of which Singapore and Pakistan are included) Germany is not an option to select. What determines that list selection?

The locales available are dependent on the language dropdown. de-de is available but not en-de.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

... understanding is that it helps format dates/times appropriately for that country, but I'm still not sure what the use cases are for that. I've never asked someone on a form to input a date or time (except by selecting from a dropdown list), but I guess orgs might want that.

It's not about manually inputting a date-like String, but about displaying the results of a datepicker selection using the appropriate format.

However, the Locale functionality is meaningless unless you also force your forms to use the custom datepicker (not browser-native picker) forever, in all cases. Which no one does.

And if there are no date/time fields on the form, is the locale then irrelevant?

Correct.

However, in the 11-country dropdown list (of which Singapore and Pakistan are included) Germany is not an option to select. What determines that list selection?

The locales available are dependent on the language dropdown. de-de is available but not en-de.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! This was really helpful.