Re: Using email address as default in token not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using email address as default in token not working

Hi Marketo community. My token is a hyperlink to a URL, and I attempted to make the token default go to an email. I have not been able to get the default to send an email. I have tried both "default=mailto:emailaddress@domain.com" and I'm not having any success with either method. I've pasted the HTML below. Any tips? When I hover over the link where it is defaulted, the correct email address appears, but clicking on it from both outlook 2013 and native apple mail app do nothing. Thanks.

Oh, also the token URL when populated works as expected.

href="{{lead.Primary Account Rep Schedule URL:default=mailto:xyz@domain.com}}"

12 REPLIES 12
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Just add:

<a href="mailto:{{lead.Email Address:default=xyz@domain.com}}" class="mchNoDecorate">Test Email</a>

You want "mchNoDecorate" only if you don't wish to track this link click (most people don't if it's just an email button).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try that if the main token wasn't linking to a URL, not an email. So the main action I want them to take is linking to a URL, the default action would be replying to an email. I am trying to keep the email to just the default area.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Melyssa Mendoza,

I would create a formula field in Marketo and try to use it.

The formula would be :

if Primary Account Rep Schedule URL is empty, then mailto:xyz@domain.com, else, use Primary Account Rep Schedule URL.

and then use the formula field directly in te href.

Please note that, since your href will not contain visible "http://", Marketo will not be able to detect clicks.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Important : I have not tested it, so please let me know if it worked 🙂

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for proposing this creative solution. I don't yet have Admin access, but I should get it soon. I'm way more familiar and comfortable with ExactTarget's way of doing things, Marketo is still new to me.

I will keep you posted, it might take until the end of the week to test and find out.

Thanks again!

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Oh, I see. You are trying to use this in an email.

Either way:

• The exact thing you pasted works perfectly fine when on a landing page.
  • I also got it to work in an Email. Not sure why it isn't working for you. I did make sure "Track Link" was unchecked in the text editor (but that shouldn't prevent it from working, just prevents a re-direct).

As long as there is a default application to handle the mailto: protocol on the device, it should work fine. I tested it on my Mac and iPhone and it worked in both environments. Can you check and make sure you don't have typos.

Let me know if you still can't get it working and I can try to look into your specific email.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

• I did make sure "Track Link" was unchecked in the text editor (but that shouldn't prevent it from working, just prevents a re-direct).

Track Link should still be unchecked for all mailto: links, though, because the OS-level mailto: handler is unlikely to be configured correctly if the person exclusively uses web-based email.  As I've noted in other Commty posts, an unconfigured mail client or one with an obsolete config is a bad situation to force your lead into.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

How would not having tracking on the link solve the problem you are describing? Are you assuming they would just copy the email address?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The smarter webmail interfaces understand that a mailto: link should be handled by the webmail UI's own New Message function.  If the link is actually an http: link they have no way of knowing they should trap it.