Re: Using custom activity feed/object fields as tokens in push, in app message and webhook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using custom activity feed/object fields as tokens in push, in app message and webhook

Let me outline the problem: and please excuse the example

• We are generating data points from in our application e.g. Purchase - 3 bananas from shop A, Purchase - 2 bananas from shop B, Purchase - 1 apple from shop A
  • We need to send these "Purchase" data points to Marketo with the additional properties(e.g. item 'banana' and amount '3' and location 'shop A') so that they can be used in messages back to the user. E.g. you bought 3 bananas from shop A today, that's great.
  • Marketo needs to receive these, decide on a message based on segmentation and return the message to the user, via either/all a webhook to our application or email or push etc.

The problems we are encountering are:

• As a custom activity/object: I can't use the additional custom fields as a token to create the message outside of email.
  • As a field on the lead: I can't handle multiple "purchase" event insertions at the same time
  • Using request campaign API: Run into performance overhead issues as can't batch API calls (every lead would have different property values)

If anyone has any thought or alternatives please sing out.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using custom activity feed/object fields as tokens in push, in app message and webhook

Yes, Custom Activities aren't feasible unless bulkified, even before the webhook question comes up.

I recommend a synthetic Munchkin VisitWebPage event. First set the s query parameter of the current URL to your JSON-serialized object. This value will become the {{trigger.search query}} token which can be used in both emails and webhooks. This is one of the few approaches that scales.

At a lower volume, you can do a form post of a JSON object (containing multiple purchase events) as long as you are not generating a new form post before the last one is processed (part of "processing" possibly being appending to a history field).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that suggestion, that's something we hadn't tried yet. One question - I can't seem to get the param name right, my {{Trigger.Query String}} always shows up blank. I _think_ that it should be "underscore s underscore query" (the undescores seem to get lost in the HTML formatting in your message)?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No, it's literally the single letter s.

And {{trigger.search query}}, not {{trigger.query string}}.