SOLVED

Re: User and role best practices

Go to solution
Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

User and role best practices

Hey guys,

Are there any best practices that you've run into when it comes to users and roles? We're almost at the point where we'd like to open our instance up to the marketers in our company.

Thanks,

Stijn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

• 1 Role per User
  • Access depends on Role and will take the LOWEST access if you add multiple Roles
  • can have different Roles assigned by WS, but I don't recommend it. Either the person is trusted, or they are not.
  • Standard Roles I like
    • New User - no templates, no sending, cannot approve.
    • Marketing User - can send email, may need approvals, no access to Templates
    • Advanced User - someone who knows what to do and can be trusted to send email; do not allow Template access usually.
    • Admin - default
    • Designer - cannot approve emails to send, can only access assets and DS
    • Analytics Only - only Analytics and/or RCE.
  • You may want separate Roles for Consultants or API tools. Depends.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Stijn Heijthuijsen​,

This is extremely dependent on you organization, the skills, the autonomy you wan to leave to local users vs central experts, ...

It seems to me it's hard to define rules that would be common law...

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

• 1 Role per User
  • Access depends on Role and will take the LOWEST access if you add multiple Roles
  • can have different Roles assigned by WS, but I don't recommend it. Either the person is trusted, or they are not.
  • Standard Roles I like
    • New User - no templates, no sending, cannot approve.
    • Marketing User - can send email, may need approvals, no access to Templates
    • Advanced User - someone who knows what to do and can be trusted to send email; do not allow Template access usually.
    • Admin - default
    • Designer - cannot approve emails to send, can only access assets and DS
    • Analytics Only - only Analytics and/or RCE.
  • You may want separate Roles for Consultants or API tools. Depends.
Guy_Goldstein6
Level 5

One of my earliest lessons in User Roles was definitely what Justin calls the "New User" (I call it a "Training Profile").

I Set every single new user up first as a "Training Profile", until I can make sure that they have the training appropriate for the role they are going to need to move to.

When I define the "Training Profile" I generally give it access to Marketing Activities only (since today you can have smart lists, assets, and reports in programs and these can't access any templates), and I restrict the profile so that it cannot delete or activate anything at all. Where I have partitions and workspaces they generally only have access to a Training partition (dummy leads for training purposes) and a Training Workspace.

There's nothing more terrifying than receiving an email from someone saying "Someone just sent out a blast to the entire database", and then discovering that that someone accidentally used an OR instead of AND, or a Not in instead of an In. So I like to make sure that my new users first receive training appropriate to their role, and then get upgraded to the role they should be in.