Use 2 segmentations for dynamic email?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use 2 segmentations for dynamic email?

Is it possible to set up a dynamic email based on 2 segmentations? Basically I want Version #1 to go to a group that fits both a company size and geo segment. The Version #2 goes to everyone else.  So for example I want to send #1 to Enterprise leads in the US.  Ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Use 2 segmentations for dynamic email?

Hi Alisa

It depends on exactly what you mean. If you are talking about sending an email based on Smart List filters that include multiple segmentations, you can absolutely do that. Just build out an email program and drag in the different segmentation filters.

Unfortunately since you cannot evaluate choices in data flows based on multiple fields, you would need to do this with 2 email campaigns. So you could have as criteria for the email program: "company  size is enterprise and geography is US". Then the other email program would be "company size is not enterprise", for example.

If you are talking about segmenting one email with multiple segmentations in the email editor, you can do this - but you can only apply one segmentation per dynamic block. So the top block could be dynamic, segmented by company size - and it shows different content based on this. The second block could be segmented by geography. As long as the blocks and content are independent that's going to work.

Does that help?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I think you'd have to have 2 emails for each Segmentation to be easiest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh and Phillip. That's what I figured - I'd have to do smart campaigns with different smart lists to get both segments in there. I was hoping i could apply 2 segments into one block, but sounds like I can't do that.  Thanks for confirming.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Alisa Goldschmidt​, it sounds like you're talking about using segmentations more for targeting the recipients of a message rather than making the email asset itself dynamic, is that right?

To achieve this with one campaign you could also have two smart lists containing your complex criteria for each group you are targeting. Then just reference those smart lists in the choices of your "send email" flow step (member of smart list is enterprise leads in the US, or whatever).

This gets around the constraint of not being able to evaluate choices on multiple fields that Phillip mentioned.

You would still need two emails, one for each targeted group.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin - I was hoping to do a dynamic email but based on who I need to target I can't do it.  Thanks.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Just thought of another possibility Alisa....

Depending on how complex the email is, you could use email scripting. Email scripting can be very complex, but if you are simply modifying a few bits of text and an image or two you can do this using this technique instead.

So you would send to everyone that qualifies, and then use tokens with email scripts to give the dynamic sections. But this might be overkill for the situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah - definitely don't need that level of complexity for this email but thanks for the suggestion!