SOLVED

Re: Upgrade to 2048 bits DKIM Keys from 1024 bits?

Go to solution
mwmarketing
Level 2

Upgrade to 2048 bits DKIM Keys from 1024 bits?

I recently read about DKIM improving email deliverability. Is it recommend to Upgrade to 2048 bits DKIM Keys from 1024 bits? Is this a necessary upgrade? 

Our website.com DKIM record, which is what was in question and we don’t use in Marketo, has been configured with the current value since we first set up the website.com email in its current form about 7 years ago, and I’m reluctant to make changes without understanding exactly what the changes entail, since it may affect our email functionality.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Our website.com DKIM record, which is what was in question and we don’t use in Marketo, has been configured with the current value since we first set up the website.com email in its current form about 7 years ago, and I’m reluctant to make changes without understanding exactly what the changes entail, since it may affect our email functionality.

A single domain can have unlimited DKIM records, so it isn’t really clear what you mean. DKIM records are distinguished by the selector. Marketo uses the selector “M1” by default, another app might use “SBZ”, another app might use “Main”. These all exist simultaneously in DNS.

You have nothing to fear from switching to 2048-bit keys. But obviously that means you get a new private and public key. The public key goes in your DNS. The private key must be used by the app that sends + signs email.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A single domain can have unlimited DKIM records, so it isn’t really clear what you mean. DKIM records are distinguished by the selector. Marketo uses the selector “M1” by default, another app might use “SBZ”, another app might use “Main”. These all exist simultaneously in DNS.

You have nothing to fear from switching to 2048-bit keys. But obviously that means you get a new private and public key. The public key goes in your DNS. The private key must be used by the app that sends + signs email.