SOLVED

Updating User expiration dates using API

Go to solution
anne_sample_f5
Level 4

Updating User expiration dates using API

I'm using the "update users API" to change the expiration date for a batch of users.

I am getting a response when I send the post, and it is actually changing the users. But instead of changing to the date I have set in the request, it's changing to "null/never." I've looked at the documentation surrounding the date format (although it's somewhat limited) and I even tried setting one user to the date I wanted, then copying the value from a "get user" response and pasting it into my body, but the same thing keeps happening.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, anyone have any ideas?

Here is my post body:

{

"action": "createOrUpdate",

"input": [

{

"expiresAt": "2023-12-31T06:00:00.000t+0000"

}

]

}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Updating User expiration dates using API

That's not valid ISO 8601. Use ISO UTC

yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ssZ

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

That's not valid ISO 8601. Use ISO UTC

yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ssZ

anne_sample_f5
Level 4

Sorry, I don't understand how to resolve that code into an actual date. I spent like two hours trying to figure it out yesterday. 

SanfordWhiteman

2023-09-01T12:34:56Z

Any datetime library can output this format. It’s the world standard!

anne_sample_f5
Level 4

That was the date I tried using first! I even tried more than one date converter to generate it and none of them actually work. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I copied from your post to try again and it still doesn't work. I'm so confused. 

My post body:

{

"action": "createOrUpdate",

"input": [

{

"expiresAt": "2023-12-31T06:00:00Z"

}

]

}

keeps returning the response:

"expiresAt": null,
What on earth is happening to me 😂
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Is expiresAt a date time field? Also, why don't you have any meaningful lookup field (like email, person id, etc.) in your POST body? Granted it's not mandatory and technically your Sync lead POST API endpoint should be successful as-is, but it'd just create a new person record with no email address every time you make an API call. Lastly to be sure, you're the Sync lead POST API endpoint only, right?

POST rest/v1/leads.json

anne_sample_f5
Level 4

No, I am using Update User Attribute. I'm updating system users, not person records, which is why I don't have the ID - it's directly in the URL. It is a datetime according to the documentation: 

expiresAt (string) - Date and time when user login expires. Example: yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSS't'Z
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@anne_sample_f5 , what language are you coding in?  Can you share the relevant code that is producing the payload?

Then we might be able to determine why the datetime info you are generating isn't valid.

Regards

Jo

Darshil_Shah1

@anne_sample_f5, that makes sense! Thank you for getting back. Hope you were able to update the users and the expiresAt datetime format worked for you. If not, feel free to let us know and we'd be more than happy to help. 🙂

Darshil_Shah1

Here's the correct ISO 8601 format for the datetime you've in your question:

2023-12-31T06:00:00Z

Just for your reference, Z refers to the 0 time zone (UTC). You could optionally add the offset if your datetime is in other timezones than the UTC (e.g., 2023-12-31T06:00:00+05:30). The + or - values indicate how far ahead or behind a time zone is from the UTC zone.

Edit- Sandy already posted a reply for this a few seconds before me! People are so responsive on the community threads. 🙌