Re: Updating leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating leads

Hey there
I have a list of leads which some are already in the database and some are not in the database.

When importing the list into Marketo it also creates the non existing leads. Is there a possability to import the list without creating these non existing leads? and just see the "errors". 
I need this as I want to see how many leads are existing ones and how many there are new and are not in the database. I will put them into the database but just not yet. 
Thanks  

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

If you import them into a program, the program will note which are acquired by that program (which are your not-in database list).  You can them delete them out of Marketo if you wanted to (but since you plan to sync them at some point, I would not recommend doing this.  However, if you have your program directly connected to your CRM, the not-in your database group will flow over automatically into your CRM - so you have to be careful if you are trying to hold these back in any way.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Ingibjorg, you could create a smart list prior to your upload where you take all of the email addresses on your list and use the filter "email address is" [list of emails], which will tell you which are already in your systems and should be updated. Then you'd need to select only these from your spreadsheet and do an upload. 

Otherwise, I don't belive there's any way to do an import that will only update the existing records in your database, and not create new records. 
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Ingibjorg,

You can import the list into Marketo then create the following smart list to figure this out:
  • Member of List is Import_List_01142015
  • Created Date is not TODAY
​The resulting leads in the smart list will be all the leads that already existed in your database before you imported the list.  Conversly, if you change the Created Date filter to be equal to today, it will show you all the net new names from your list import. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answers. Makes sense now.