Update to program status in Marketo

Morgan_Corbett
Level 3

Update to program status in Marketo

We're tracking paid advertising efforts through a program channel called "paid advertising" and managing through smart campaigns; however, we're experiencing an issue with tracking.

Questions:

Question 1: If you update the member statuses in a program, does it sync over to SFDC?

Question 2: If you update the "success" for a member status, does it sync over to SFDC?

Question 3: If you update the member statuses or program success after it's sycned to SFDC, does it update automatically?

Background:

Initially, we wanted to track just people who filled out the form. Our status for the Paid advertising channel was simple and synced over to SFDC for tracking:

• 10-"Filled out form" (success)

A few months later, we updated the member status progression and influence because we also wanted to track people who visited our website and wanted to consider them influenced as well. We updated the Paid advertising channel member statuses to the following:

• 05-"Visited website" (success)
  • 10-"Filled out form" (success)

Then, we saw the problem start to happen. So I removed the "success" for the Visited website status. However, we're STILL seeing issues. Screenshots of the data discrepancy below.

This is what I see when I look at the campaigns in SFDC and Marketo:

1. MARKETO PROGRAM SUMMARY:

Slide1.png

2. SFDC PROGRAM SUMMARY:
Slide2.png
3. MARKETO PROGRAM SMART CAMPAIGN RESULTS (for tracking filled out form):
Slide3.png

4 REPLIES 4
Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Re: Update to program status in Marketo

You have probably added in a member status that is not present in the SFDC campaign. They need to match exactly.

A quick fix is to detach the campaign from the program and then create a new one.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You have some issues here

Question 1: If you update the member statuses in a program, does it sync over to SFDC?

Only if you directly synced the Program to SFDC Campaign. You did do this from the screenshot.

Will also occur if you have a campaign that changes the Program Status AND uses Add to SFDC Campaign (but don't do both this and above).

Question 2: If you update the "success" for a member status, does it sync over to SFDC?

No? Success is based on Program Status, so it will update the Campaign Member Object with the new Status. Success=Response usually. But I wouldn't think of it as "Success" just Program Status=Member Status.

yes, it will sync if you connected the programs or did Add to SFDC Campaign.

Question 3: If you update the member statuses or program success after it's synced to SFDC, does it update automatically?

It should in your case.

However, there are some issues

• If you sync the Program and SFDC Campaign, then you are not allowed to use the Smart Campaign to update SFDC Campaign. Only Program Status.
  • If you modify the Channel Type's success or Statuses after a Program uses that, you can create problems. Remember, there's a warning about that. It's NOT about the Success in your case. You may have broken the Channel Type, but I can't tell from here. Maybe not.
  • Generally, you should avoid syncing the Program to the SFDC Campaign. It is better to control the Add/Change SFDC Member Status in the flow steps as long as you ALSO Change Program Status at the same time.  The data will sync over because you pushed it.
  • Results tab  - this is showing 19 actions, not 19 leads. But yes, the count is wrong, so that tells me the campaign existed after alot of other things happened. Or maybe it never triggered.
  • Backfill - use a smart list to identify people who match the Status criteria but aren't in the SFDC Campaign. Run a separate flow to fix that.
Kacper_Gawlik1
Level 2

Hi Josh,

Regarging below suggestion:

• Backfill - use a smart list to identify people who match the Status criteria but aren't in the SFDC Campaign. Run a separate flow to fix that.

There the issue I am facing happens when program is synched with SFDC campiagn. List was uploaded and I changed the status for these contacts to Attended with Smart Campaign. Despite that, still there are some contacts for which status did not change in SFDC even more, thet are not members of the SFDC campaign when I set up Smart List to check per your suggestion.

Any Idea what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Kacper

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Off the cuff, look for that error group and resync them to that SFDC Campaign with the correct Member Status.

Are you using Program-SFDC Campaign sync? Don't.