SOLVED

Re: Unsubscribe Triggers

Go to solution
Madeline_Trott1
Level 2

Unsubscribe Triggers

Scenario: 

Initially someone signs up for emails with the email "bob.smith@email.com" but when that same person unsubscribes they use a different email in Marketo's eyes (for example: bob_smith@email.com" We know it is the same person/email but Marketo recognizes it as two different emails and people due to the difference of using an underscore or a period. Then the person who unsubscribed doesn't understand why they didn't get unsubscribed and gets upset with the email system.

I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to have a trigger in the change data value so that if someone unsubscribes with a "different" email so that Marketo knows to unsubscribe both the bob.smith@email.com and bob_smith@email.com  ...This happens fairly often and if there was some kind of automatic trigger like this, it would eliminate a lot of manual unsubscribing. Any ideas????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

The Trigger you'd create would be very complex and I honestly think after a lot of testing and playing around, the process would still end up being manual to some extent.

I assume people are unsubscribing via the unsubscribe link, maybe Enabling form Pre-fill (usually set to Disable) on the Unsubscribe Form would help autofill the email address rather than asking them to manually adding it.

unsub.png

One tip if you are going down the Trigger route is if the email address is new and they unsubscribe you could try Lead is created with the Unsubscribe Form set, then trigger a email to alert you that someone new has entered via the unsubscribe form, which indicates someone has entered the wrong email address possibly and then you could manually check:

trigger.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

The Trigger you'd create would be very complex and I honestly think after a lot of testing and playing around, the process would still end up being manual to some extent.

I assume people are unsubscribing via the unsubscribe link, maybe Enabling form Pre-fill (usually set to Disable) on the Unsubscribe Form would help autofill the email address rather than asking them to manually adding it.

unsub.png

One tip if you are going down the Trigger route is if the email address is new and they unsubscribe you could try Lead is created with the Unsubscribe Form set, then trigger a email to alert you that someone new has entered via the unsubscribe form, which indicates someone has entered the wrong email address possibly and then you could manually check:

trigger.png

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Madeline, like Frank suggested I would advise using tracking from your unsubscribe link to your unsubscribe page (could be to a form with prefill, or directly to a subscription preferences page for the email address that received the email). This will help you to unsubscribe the specific email address that is receiving emails.