Re: Unsubscribe link gets rendered invalid

Nadine_Regan1
Level 2

Unsubscribe link gets rendered invalid

We've recently discovered that in certain isolated cases our unsubscribe link doesn't seem to work. It appears that when a client receives our email the unsubscribe link is missing the "." before the html extension. So for example instead of "unsubscribe.html" it shows as "unsubscribehtml" which causes the URL to not work correctly. We've been troubleshooting this for several days now and can't seem to find an answer for it. Our email templates use the system token for the unsubscribe link and nothing on our Unsubscribe URL has changed. When looking in MKTO the URL works as intended, when sending myself test emails the URL works as intended. This just started happening maybe 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if someone else has had the same issue at some point or if someone has any idea on what's causing this and how to fix it. Any help is much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A strange and, I have to say, somewhat implausible report, at least far as Marketo being to blame.

The URL will be rendered the same way for any recipient (since you're using the system token), so if you can send yourself a real email (not sample) and it looks right, that's what you're sending to your clients.

Are you sure they aren't looking at the Text version and you're looking at the HTML version, or vice versa?

Nadine_Regan1
Level 2

Hey Sanford,

thanks for your reply. I just sent myself the actual email using my yahoo account (not the test version) and had no problems with the URL. It worked just fine. How is that, that in some cases people run into this issue even though it's set up correctly on our end and works as intended? It doesn't seem like we have any control over it. And to your question on whether or not they see the text version - I am pretty sure they see the HTML version because that's what they replied to and we can see the invalid URL in the email they received. When we view the web version of the email they received the link works just fine oddly enough. It just doesn't work in the email itself. Is it possible that maybe something on their end is changing the code somehow? MKTO Support suggested it could be the system unsubscribe token we are using but we've never had that issue before or at least it was never reported to us until now. If that is the case though I'd think more people would have that issue....maybe.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What is your exact Unsub HTML? Please highlight it as XML using the Advanced Editor's syntax highlighter so it's readable.