Unsubscribe issue on mobile

Kevin_Stinson
Level 3

Unsubscribe issue on mobile

Hi we are seeing some issue with unsubscribes from mobile devices.

We have a couple approaches to unsubscribes.

1. People will unsubscribe from a specific list either by a button click with a smart campaign removing them from a list or unchecking a check box field on a form. We are using leadID and programID.

2. Then there is the global unsubscribe to all marketing emails done by one of the methods above.

The thing we are seeing is that if the users has multiple email addresses they use on the phone then at times it seems that Marketo does not know which user it is as the browser that pulls up the Marketo page with these unsubscribe processes does not work as intended and the person or correct email is not targeted for unsubscribe. I am thinking it is a cookie issue.

We also see that some users just use the native unsubscribe feature in the mail app that bypasses our scripted unsubscribe processes.

Has anyone else noticed this or has a work-around?

thanks.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Unsubscribe issue on mobile

@Kevin_Stinson ,

are you sure this is mobile only?  I'm trying to work out the true nature of the problem.

What if I have multiple email addresses registered with you, and run those within the same browser profile on my desktop (and FWIW - in my current browser profile I have two gmail accounts and an office 365 account on the go).

To your point about people using the email providers unsubscribe.  This blog post might be of interest

https://blog.teknkl.com/detecting-list-unsubscribe-header-based-activity/

Cheers

Jo

Kevin_Stinson
Level 3

It may be more then mobile but at my office I can only use the corporate email on my desktop.

Though I just filled out a  Marketo form with another address and then tried to locally unsubscribe to an email I sent myself earlier and it did not pull through the leadID and campaign ID. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We also see that some users just use the native unsubscribe feature in the mail app that bypasses our scripted unsubscribe processes.

By definition they will always be allowed to use this method.

Like Jo says, it’s pretty unlikely this has anything directly to do with “mobile” except in the sense that their (single) browser session might not be associated with the same person who received the email. On desktop, you’re more likely to have additional browsers. But it could happen there as well.

Kevin_Stinson
Level 3

Since we can't be sure what cookie was used on a browser, I guess our best process would be to present the users email on a Marketo form with their current subscriptions and if it is not them have a link to refresh the page/new page to remove the leadID and they can enter their email address that they need to unsubscribe with.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

That’s a common approach, yes: “Showing subscriptions for sandy@example.com, click here to use another address.”

Note if they do enter another address, you have to figure out how to load the existing field values for that address.