Re: Unsubscribe form and an operational Email to an unsubscribe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsubscribe form and an operational Email to an unsubscribe

I am planning to send a Thank-you mail to leads for visiting our stand in an exhibition.

I guess that lots of leads would request to unsubscribe mail magazines which would be sent to them after that Thank-you mail.

So I think of making a form to ask them if they want to unsubscribe it or not.

That form will ask an email address.

Here my questions come:

Leads who want unsubscription but gave us different email addresses from ones in our Marketo database. --- Can Marketo pick up those leads then email them? (which says that we will not send mail magazines to this email address anymore but we have another account of yours. Do you wish us to do the same to it?)

Leads who gave us improper email addresses such as ones with a wrong domain. --- Can Marketo pick up those addresses then bounce-mail to sales informing so?

Can anyone help me out on above matters?

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nodoka,

Various issues here :

1. In most countries, you are not obliged to provide an unsubscribe link in an operational email. But you are obliged to do so in a marketing email (your email magazine). Check under Japan's anti-spam laws, but if you are not obliged, do not do it
  2. When someones unsubscribes, he/she unsubscribes only for the email address provided. Marketo has no capability to automatically also unsubscribe a second email address from the same person.
  3. If someone provides you with an invalid email address, it will hard bounce on first sent. This will be logged into Marketo and you can make that information available to your CRM indeed, so that sales are informed. There are various ways for this and it depends on which CRM you are using.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your advice!

On 3, I am using SFDC as CRM. Can you tell me the simplest way for this?

BR,

Nodoka

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can use an Interesting Moment based on the Bounces Email trigger or use that to push another Email Invalid flag to SFDC.

I believe there is a standard "bad email" field in SFDC, but not sure if it gets auto synced to Email Bounced.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

No, in fact the field does not synchronize, which is quite weird, since it's a good practice to let the sales know that one of their contact has an invalid email.

I prefer to set up a specific checkbox email in SFDC and have a smart campaign in Marketo that checks it, because it enable filtering in SFDC, unlike interesting moments. The need for the report is to set up systematic investigation of bad emails in core target prospects and customers. The process is as follow :

• Telemarketing establish the list and checks the email.
  • If it's a typo and the correction seems obvious, they fix it. The updated email address is pushed to Marketo where a smart campaign unchecks "invalid email" and the lead is back to marketing
  • If it's not obvious and the lead belongs to a core target prospect company, the telemarketing will call the company and try to learn the issue. If the contact has left, a specific "has left the company" field is checked, and the contact stops synchronizing with Marketo. They also try to learn who is the replacement for the person who left and enter a new lead in the database (in Opt-Out rule countries). If the person is still in the company, the telemarketing tries to verify spelling and fixes the email address.

-Greg