Trying send an alert with a lead identifier in a URL and then update lead information

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Trying send an alert with a lead identifier in a URL and then update lead information

I'm trying to build a program that does the following:

1. Inside rep is sent an alert on that lead.
2. Alert contains a list of options links to a landing page http://landingpage.com/landingpage.html?option1=A&option2=B
3. Inside rep clicks on the link
4. Form on the landing page confirms that the rep selected "A" for Option 1 and "B" for Option 2.
5. Click submit and write the values to the lead record.

I'm able to build the email with the link but since the email is sent as an alert the email is not personalized so I'm not pulling in the lead's info.

So if I attach a parameter that identifies the lead to the URL, how would I then update that lead record?

I'm assuming I may need Velocity or Javascript.  Can someone with in depth knowledge help point me in the right direction?
Robb Barrett
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying send an alert with a lead identifier in a URL and then update lead information

I've accomplished something similar by passing the lead's email address in the URL as a token and populating a hidden field on the form. Then the other form fields map to fields on the lead record. 

This is done from a link in a normal email but I believe it should work the same in an alert email, as tokens work there too. 

So if I'm understanding you correctly, this should be doable without JS or velocity. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying send an alert with a lead identifier in a URL and then update lead information

I would not take this approach, as the sales rep would be tagged as the lead (cookied). This would result in all future actions by the sales representative to be recorded as the lead's activity (e.g. website visits). The best approach would be to use the API. Create a custom page and form (not in Marketo!). The script that handles the form fill will use the API (SOAP or Munckin) to update the record. This would also enable you to not coockie the sales representative.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep good point about the cookie. The approach I mentioned would not be advisable when it is the rep completing the form and not the lead for that reason. API would be the way to go. 

Thanks Diederik!
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Thank you both.  Is there any way to set the page to not cookie the sales rep?
Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can with customizing Munchkin I believe. I thought there were some help articles on it, but I can't find them. Maybe the developer site will help: http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/websites/lead-tracking-munchkin-js/
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

What if we turned off Form Prefill?
Robb Barrett