SOLVED

Trouble with Marketo and Interact Integration

Go to solution
TammyAmaral
Level 2

Trouble with Marketo and Interact Integration

Wondering if anyone has any insight...we're using TryInteract Quiz and want to collect leads from this quiz and have them import into Marketo. I've integrated Interact with Zapier and then Zapier with Makrketo. Followed all the steps outlined on the documentation from Zapier, Interact and Marketo and yet, I keep getting this error when I test the zap or fill out the quiz:

The app returned `{"message":"{\"requestId\":\"1be1#182a71815c2\",\"success\":false,\"errors\":[{\"code\":\"609\",\"message\":\"Invalid value 'tammy.lp.allen@gmail.com'\"}]}"}

What happened:
  Executing creates.add_lead_to_list.operation.perform with bundl

Both Zapier and Interact Support tell me this is an issue with Marketo but Marketo support is telling me it's not...can anyone crack this? I come from using SF and Pardot so Marketo alludes me a little bit.

Tammy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Trouble with Marketo and Interact Integration

It's never possible to do it that way.

You either search for the person by Email Address to get their ID and insert them if they don't exist (and also get the returned ID).

Or use the Push Lead endpoint, which always upserts and gives you the ID in return.

But you need the ID.

You can see why this "packaged" integration type isn't really better than giving yourself full control!

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

I would build custom JS (“Code by Zapier”) steps — if forced to use Zapier — to get the right Marketo-fluent outcome. We’ve done things as advanced as upserting Marketo Custom Objects using those CbZ steps.

I like to say that if a product includes the Marketo logo and advertises a “Marketo connector”, always start with the utmost suspicion. Such claims are designed to lure you in and then pull the rug out with “Oh, we only do these 2 things in Marketo, but we do something, right?”

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

If you’re trying to map the Email Address as a Marketo Lead ID, that won’t work — an ID is literally a numeric ID. Hard to say without knowing a lot more about this setup.

Btw, adding people to a static List is really a suboptimal way to integrate with other apps. Program membership and/or at Custom Objects and/or Custom Activities are more appropriate.

If working with something like Interact I would use their generic Webhook integration and send the data to a custom service that knows better how to interact with Marketo, rather than routing through Zapier.

TammyAmaral
Level 2

Webhooks would be way easier but the company I work for doesn't want to set up a Pro plan  in Interact because of the cost

SanfordWhiteman

Well, hard to say more with that little info. The error means you’re sending an invalid Lead ID to Marketo, and specifically that you’re sending a string value that looks like an email address.

TammyAmaral
Level 2

Hey Sanford,

This is what Zapier support sent me in terms of call URL and body and endpoints https://cdn.zapier.com/storage/files/5d4bb190ec89415010e9ebc9cd3b50ae.txt

Marketo support said everything is good on their end, which is bizarre. I followed all of the steps in setting up the User/role/launchpoint in Marketo to tie everything in but still, won't register the leads. 

For Interact, the only data we require for quiz results is an email address, which is why that was set up as the action item in Zapier

SanfordWhiteman

The Add to List endpoint must accept a numeric Lead ID, so that payload is invalid.

You get the Lead ID after inserting the person using the Email Address. It’s 2 different calls.

TammyAmaral
Level 2

I understand the logic but I'm not sure how to implement this. Out of the box, Zapier has the trigger being a new lead from Interact via quiz completion and then from there, the action is to add that lead to the associated list in Marketo. The only options Zapier gives me is email, name, company fields as the leads

SanfordWhiteman

It's never possible to do it that way.

You either search for the person by Email Address to get their ID and insert them if they don't exist (and also get the returned ID).

Or use the Push Lead endpoint, which always upserts and gives you the ID in return.

But you need the ID.

You can see why this "packaged" integration type isn't really better than giving yourself full control!

TammyAmaral
Level 2

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't the foggiest idea how to do that, it's beyond my scope.

I really appreciate you helping me out and being so responsive.

SanfordWhiteman

I would build custom JS (“Code by Zapier”) steps — if forced to use Zapier — to get the right Marketo-fluent outcome. We’ve done things as advanced as upserting Marketo Custom Objects using those CbZ steps.

I like to say that if a product includes the Marketo logo and advertises a “Marketo connector”, always start with the utmost suspicion. Such claims are designed to lure you in and then pull the rug out with “Oh, we only do these 2 things in Marketo, but we do something, right?”