SOLVED

Re: Triggered Alert contains previous value

Go to solution
Patricia_Mercha
Level 2

Triggered Alert contains previous value

Hi,

Can anyone help.  I have set up a form on a landing page, with selection to contact, request demo, request trial.  I noticed that the same value field is populating my alert with old data value if they don't select anything.  Below is the form details I use on the form for asset download.  Further requirements contains the contact us, demo or trial request.  But if person previously requested demo and this time they didn't demo still shows on the new alert, even if it's a new form on a new campaign.

any ideas on how I can stop the old data pulling through the new form alert?

Thanks

Name: Person

Company: 

Email: 
Job Title: 

Phone Number: 
Further Requirements? Product Demo 

Comments:  

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You‘d set up the options like this:

SanfordWhiteman_1-1631901414608.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Edward_Rumsey
Level 3

Could likely be the form not pushing the data back to the Database, have you checked the data is correct in the Database for a lead in this instance you described? 

Best,
Edward Rumsey
LucasMachado
Level 2

Some content removed by moderator for accuracy.

When the lead sends the forms is the data value changing in the database? or does it remain the same?

If it is changing you probably should just add a wait step in the flow to be sure the data has time to be updated.

Patricia_Mercha
Level 2

@LucasMachado 

For example I complete a form last week and I select 'demo' from the pick-list - The alert shows me I selected 'demo'.

If I complete another form this week, so download an asset for example, but this time round I don't select anything from the pick-list - the alert will still show that I selected 'demo. 

So when looking at the alerts - I don't know if it's a new request or the request from previous week.

SanfordWhiteman

@Edward_Rumsey and@LucasMachado doesn’t seem like you’re understanding the case.

If an empty value (empty string) is posted for a form field, that field is not updated in the Marketo database. This is the expected behavior! Marketo treats an empty value as if the field were not present on the form at all.

If the special string value “NULL” (without quotes) is posted, that will empty an already-filled field.

@Patricia_Mercha what is the form field type for the field Further Requirements? Surely not a text field — is it a Select?

Patricia_Mercha
Level 2

hi @SanfordWhiteman Yes its a select from a pick- list. 

And you are right - if no selection then 'null' - but if previous 'contact us' pick list then it will appear again even if they have not selected that from the pick list this time round.

SanfordWhiteman

And you are right - if no selection then 'null' - but if previous 'contact us' pick list then it will appear again even if they have not selected that from the pick list this time round.

I don’t think you’re quite following. The string “NULL” and the empty string are very, very different.

You have to send the 4-letter string “NULL“ as the value if you want to clear the stored value in the database.

Patricia_Mercha
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman 

I am not as advanced as you by the looks of it.

So how do I go about  this - You have to send the 4-letter string “NULL“ as the value if you want to clear the stored value in the database.

SanfordWhiteman

You‘d set up the options like this:

SanfordWhiteman_1-1631901414608.png

Patricia_Mercha
Level 2

Thank you @SanfordWhiteman, but I didn't want to add another pick list to the form.  So I guess without adding another picklist there is no way around it?

Thanks

P