SOLVED

Re: Trigger automation not working for datestamp

Go to solution
Anurag
Level 2

Trigger automation not working for datestamp

We have subscription forms where preferences can be selected. When a member fills this form, a new member is created within Marketo (unless they are present already). A member can opt for any/all of 6 preferences. We would like to keep track of how many members have subscribed to each of the preferences everyday. This is done using a trigger where if data value changes from False to True for a particular preference then the datestamp is stored in another column corresponding to that preference. 

Even though the preference columns work as they should, this automation doesn't seem to work since the datestamp fields are left empty. Do triggers not work for new members?  Or any other reason the automation doesn't work? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

When a member fills this form, a new member is created within Marketo (unless they are present already).

Let's use the term "person," not "member," as Marketo (program) members have a specific meaning that conflicts with your business-specific meaning.

When a new person is created in Marketo, a trigger on Data Value Changes will not fire. You would need to pair the Data Value Changes trigger with a Person is Created trigger (can be another trigger in the same SC) and add a filter for the field value.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mariah_Mattick
Level 4

Are you able to post a screenshot of one of the smart campaign's smart list and flow step(s)?

Mariah Mattick
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

When a member fills this form, a new member is created within Marketo (unless they are present already).

Let's use the term "person," not "member," as Marketo (program) members have a specific meaning that conflicts with your business-specific meaning.

When a new person is created in Marketo, a trigger on Data Value Changes will not fire. You would need to pair the Data Value Changes trigger with a Person is Created trigger (can be another trigger in the same SC) and add a filter for the field value.

Anurag
Level 2

Thanks!

The smart list right now is:

1) Person was created (Without any constraints)

2) examplePreferenceField = True

And flow is:

1) examplePreferenceDatestampField = {{system.date}}

And this seems to work (i.e. the datestamp is being saved), so I did not understand why I would also need a Data Value Changes trigger, could you please tell me why? (I understand that it might be required if I wanted to specify a 'Previous value', but in this case?)

Tags (1)
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Anurag

When a person is created in Marketo, that doesn't trigger a "Data Value Changed" entry in the activity log. It simply creates a "Person Created" entry, and all the data is in their profile. 

So if you want to ensure you capture both new people who were created with that field value marked as TRUE, and also existing people who had that field changed to TRUE, you will need two triggers in the smart campaign you mention:

1. Person is Created
2. Data Value Changed

And then the extra filter of "field A is true".

This is what Sanford means by the above. If the field and person never existed, then did it "change" upon creation? Marketo would say no. A little annoying you need both triggers - this can trip you up!

Anurag
Level 2

That makes sense, thanks!