SOLVED

Tricky bit of Form Field Visibility

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tricky bit of Form Field Visibility

Hi there!

In our Subscription Centre we have a number of different email lists that prospects can choose to subscribe/unsubscribe from. However, we also have a private email list that is meant for investors, etc. Ideally, we would like for the unsubscribe field for that private list to only appear to someone who is actually on the list. I have been experimenting with visibility rules (for example, creating a custom hidden field to use in the Show IF statement) but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? And if so, any advice on how I can tackle the issue?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tricky bit of Form Field Visibility

If there's a first field that determines the visibility of the second field, then you just need basic Visibility Rules as built into Forms 2.0.  That's not tricky at all!

Add the first "eligibility" field as a hidden field and have the second "subscription" field show/hide based on the value of the first field.

At first it seemed like you were saying there was a field that determined its own visibility.   This is tricky and requires a little JS, because VRs are not built to do this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

(a) Are you embedding this form on your own site, or is it on a Marketo-hosted LP?

(b) Is someone's membership in the list determined by a boolean (true/false) field, and that's the same field you're trying to expose as a checkbox?  (This may seem like an unnecessary question, but some people separate unsubscribed from never subscribed and that takes more than one field.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, I have this same question (with almost the same situation) so I thought I'd hijack the thread and answer your questions (at least as they relate to us).

a) The form is on a Marketo LP.

b) Technically no, it's not boolean. I have a field in Salesforce that is ONLY used if the client is part of a certain group, but it's not "true/false". In Marketo, they are added to a smart list by a filter (Fieldname = not empty).

As Dana stated above, my aim is to use the same subscription center LP/form for all our customers but have one additional field that is only visible to those on that list (i.e. fieldname=not empty)

SanfordWhiteman

This is quite simple, but to be clear, you're offering them an editable field that, when cleared, will disappear the next time they view the form.  This was why I was distinguish un/subscription eligibility from subscription itself.  That might be a little confusing for the user, but if you're OK with it I can tell you how.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily. The form has yes/no fields that allows customers to opt in/out to a our mailing lists. Of the 4 lists we have, 3 are for all our customers, and 1 is just for a specific group of customers that meet a criteria. I'd like that 4th field to be invisible to general customers (as it will only confuse them) but become visible to those who meet the criteria.

We wouldn't want that field to disappear simply because they unsubscribe. It should always to available to that group of customers. Does that help?

SanfordWhiteman

If there's a first field that determines the visibility of the second field, then you just need basic Visibility Rules as built into Forms 2.0.  That's not tricky at all!

Add the first "eligibility" field as a hidden field and have the second "subscription" field show/hide based on the value of the first field.

At first it seemed like you were saying there was a field that determined its own visibility.   This is tricky and requires a little JS, because VRs are not built to do this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, that did the trick! I wasn't aware that I could make a field hidden, but once I found that, everything else clicked into place.

I created a hidden field that pre-fills the data from the CRM. I then created the subscription field that, using the built-in visibility rules, is visible only to those with the correct data in that hidden field.

I'm not very familiar with the pre-fill function but, as long as the user going to the subscription center is able to have their data pre-filled, I don't see any problems with this method. Would there be any reason why this wouldn't happen? If the user is clicking on the "subscription preferences" link from an email would their info get pre-filled without issues?

SanfordWhiteman

If the user is clicking on the "subscription preferences" link from an email would their info get pre-filled without issues?

Yep, the Subscription Centre/er concept wouldn't work otherwise!  Has to be a Marketo LP, though (unless you want to get really crazy),