SOLVED

Re: Trade Show Data Collection

Go to solution
ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I checked, they are asking for SOAP credentials.

ChristinaZuniga

Sanford Whiteman​ and Dory Viscogliosi​ atEvent just put out an email about an upgrade that we can opt into going from SOAP to REST API. To me this doesn't seem like an "upgrade", just a different integration. #Marketing. Here's the email they sent. Any thoughts Sanford?

We’re changing the way we connect to Marketo! This change will give you better performance and scalability, and more flexibility when working with your Marketo data. You will need to opt in to the new technology to take advantage of new features and future functionality.

What’s happening
atEvent is upgrading from the SOAP API to the REST API.

Why we’re upgrading
The REST API is the new industry standard. Upgrading to REST will give you better performance, scalability, and flexibility, and allow you to take advantage of upcoming atEvent features.

What you need to do
Opt in to the new technology within atEvent. You will only need to do this once.

1. In atEvent, visit My account > Configure MA/CRM integration.
  2. Print your or take a screenshot of your current mapping. You will need to update your mapping after the switch. You will only need to do this once.
  3. Click Switch to Rest and enter your login credentials to authenticate with Marketo.
  4. Once you have upgraded, reset your mapping (refer to your printout!).
  5. Enjoy better performance and upcoming features!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford,

Thank you for your response. Very helpful and insightful.

Andy

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yeah, one of my hangups is how little the principle of "least privilege" is honored by these older (or older-style) integrations. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1- First, I don't think, Marketo allows root access to their system. If so, it is a big flaw at Marketo side.

2- atEvent MOBILE applications (card scanner and checkin) do not call marketo APIs directly. Mobile apps communicate with atEvent backend server, via atEvent's own REST services. Means, mobile applications has no direct access to Marketo. 

3- atEvent system allows only Company Admins to configure Marketo integration. Company Admins use their API credentials (provided by Marketo) to integrate with Marketo system.

4- User CANNOT perform any DELETION operation  via atEvent in Marketo. If a lead is deleted in atEvent app, it has no impact on lead's state in marketo. It remains available in Marketo.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

We've used AtEvent successfully. You can find more info here

ChristinaZuniga

I also use atEvent and they work really well except one thing - they use comma as a delimiter (when it should be semi-colon). That's only an issue with multi-select fields and there's a workaround in Marketo to work it out, but it's a pain for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory and C Z,

Thanks for the response! I checked out the atEvent website and had a few questions:

- Did you use all the products? (scanner, check-in, etc)

- What was the delay from the time scanning or checking in to the time is showed up in Marketo?

- Have you tried and not liked any other applications other than atEvent?

Thanks!

Andy

ChristinaZuniga

I use the app scanner only and it populates data within 2-5 minutes into my system, sometimes faster. I haven't tried other applications though.

One thing I noticed about their instructions to roll out is that they aren't complete. They didn't tell my CRM team to put the atEvent fields on the contact record, only the lead record. I want recording for both types in Salesforce, so I had to have my CRM team do that later. That was a draw back.

Wow, I registered for a marketo webinar using "C Z" instead of my name and it updated my community profile! Guess I should change it back...

Steve_Carlton
Level 2

We started using iCapture last year and I have setup programs to automate everything in near realtime. As soon as a lead is scanned/entered the lead is put into a Marketo Program/Salesforce Campaign, follow up items marked in iCapture create related tasks to the lead owner and even automatic registration for our next webinar through the Citrix integration.

In Marketo you setup a Smart Campaign that can be requested and setup the flows the way you want. iCapture requests the campaign through the API in near realtime when the device is connected to the internet or they can by synced later. After the initial setup you are simply cloning shows in iCapture and cloning programs in Marketo for each new show.

The barcode scanning is going to be hit or miss with any third party lead retrieval app since the barcode itself data might not include email or contact info. For the larger shows where we know the barcode won't work we still purchase the lead retrieval and load spreadsheets the manual way. For smaller shows we have the rep manually enter leads into iCapture unless we know barcodes will work.

PRO TIP: I often creep on trade show Facebook/Twitter photos from previous years to look for badges and their barcode to see if it might work with iCapture. Ha.

The iCapture app itself needs a design refresh but overall it works and small quirks aside we still like it.