SOLVED

Re: Tracking Survey Monkey surveys without integration

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Survey Monkey surveys without integration

Hi everyone:

We have Survey Monkey, but not the Marketo integration with it. I am trying to send an email, ask folks to fill out the survey, and then send them a thank you email after the survey is completed. I need to be able to track who they are so I can send an alert to our business development team that a survey was completed.

Here is what I have set up:

1, Send email with link to Survey Monkey survey.

2. Prospect clicks link to go to survey.

3. Prospect completes survey.

4. Upon completion, Survey Monkey sends the person to a "thank you" landing page I have created in Marketo.

5. Trigger of "Visits Web Page" with that "thank you" page URL sends a thank you email to the person and an alert to the BD rep.

I assumed that because the only way to get to the survey is through the email link, that anyone who fills out the form, and therefore sees the thank you page, is a known lead. However when I tested, it shows there was a visit, but no lead details, so no emails/alerts were sent.

I feel like there is something obvious that I am missing here. Can anyone help? And if this is a poor way of going about this, any thoughts on a better way?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It makes perfect sense that the lead is Anonymous. In your setup, the first time they hit a Marketo-integrated page, you aren't including any identifying information!

There are several ways to solve this problem:

• Send them to an interstitial redirector page on a site with Munchkin first.  Ensure that Munchkin has logged the hit (and thus associated the lead) and then redirect to SurveyMonkey; or
  • Have the survey site append the lead's email address to the Thank You URL and do a background form post; or
  • Have the survey site append the original mkt_tok parameter to the Thank You URL (by storing it in a hidden field); or
  • Other cross-domain form post methods.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Meghan,

I think the setup you've got should work.

Because the thank you page has been published though, it can be reached by crawlers or bots, which probably explains the visit you saw with no details.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing a bunch of visits without any details.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response John! Problem is, there is no lead information. So while the thank you page is tracking there was a visitor, I don't have any information about who that person is...so no email is sent, etc.

SanfordWhiteman

It makes perfect sense that the lead is Anonymous. In your setup, the first time they hit a Marketo-integrated page, you aren't including any identifying information!

There are several ways to solve this problem:

• Send them to an interstitial redirector page on a site with Munchkin first.  Ensure that Munchkin has logged the hit (and thus associated the lead) and then redirect to SurveyMonkey; or
  • Have the survey site append the lead's email address to the Thank You URL and do a background form post; or
  • Have the survey site append the original mkt_tok parameter to the Thank You URL (by storing it in a hidden field); or
  • Other cross-domain form post methods.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Sanford. I had made the assumption that by clicking the link we would know who they are. Still learning this! I will take a look at your options and see what works best. Appreciate your reply!!

SanfordWhiteman

I had made the assumption that by clicking the link we would know who they are.

Don't worry, you're not alone! It's a common misconception that web activities will be associated regardless of the direct target of an tracked email link.  Can be especially confusing because the Click Link in Email event will be tracked to the known lead, even if subsequent Visit Web Page and Click Link in Web Page activities end up going into the anonymous ether. 

In fact the automatic association of subsequent web activities with the lead only happens if the immediate target of a link is running (your) Munchkin code.  Otherwise, you have to take steps -- simple steps, but nevertheless it's not automatic -- to continue the association of activities with the lead.

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

How do you send them to a thank you page through survey monkey?