Re: Tracking Lead Source from Various Assets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Lead Source from Various Assets

We need to track multiple campaigns, for multiple products, and the source of leads from multiple mediums and assets. Campaigns often over lap one another, hitting the same users within the same time period, and with Marketo's out of the box Tracking Leads information is consistently being overwritten. We're capturing original Lead Source information, but looking for a way to see other touch points at the Campaign level. Similar to the Campaign feature you see in Google Analytics.

As a result of lead information overriding we create a unique data field for every campaign/program and it's just become unmanageable to work with anymore.

We are already capturing the Original Source information, but looking to replicate Google Analytics Campaign feature in Marketo. Is that even possible?

We've looked into Burner Fields, creating Marketing Activities or Marketing Objects and even tracking our Campaigns in Google Analytics exclusively with UTM Parameters. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer as to the best way to track Campaigns in any other community posting, so starting a discussion here. However, if anyone knows of a discussion I should read let me know. I feel like I've read almost 95% of them.

Thank you!

Frustrated Marketo Novice.

4 REPLIES 4
Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It would be helpful if you could provide an example about what you are looking to track and the reporting that you want to see that would be helpful.  I'm not sure what you mean by Marketo's out of the box tracking lead information.  If you don't want a particular field to be over written you can set that at the admin level under field management.

My gut tells me is that you are trying to track "campaigns"  and best practices would be to use Marketo programs and tracking them members is programs with the correct progression status.  I highly advise against creating a different field for every campaign or program.  That's really what program membership and setting program statuses is for.  A person can be a part of multiple programs and have different statuses within each program, i.e. I downloaded a white paper, registered for a webinar, clicked on a linked in ad, etc.

Best practices is that you should have a standard definition of channels progression statuses within those channels, select the appropriate statuses to represent a success step and create Marketo programs in the appropriate channels, put people in those program and set the correct program statuses when those people become members.  Since you have UTM parameters, then you are half way there.  That should solve your issue. 

Kim_Allen
Level 10

I agree with Jessica in that it would definitely help us help you to see what kinds of metrics you're looking for and possibly from what sources.

As a "phase 1" I'd be sure your channels and programs are setup to your marketing efforts (meaning ideally you have a channel per source - should map to lead sources). Then build out the programs in the way you want to track them - maybe that means quarterly Bing programs for example. You'll use the UTM parameters already in place to track touch points.

Kim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aside from general email metrics and form conversions, which is already available within Marketo, we want to know which marketing channel drove users, new or existing, to the Marketo landing page. Possible sources include Email, Social Media, Web Banner Ads, Organic, etc.

Ideally we could pull a campaign report that shows conversions by Channel. I took a quick look at our Channel tags and I think we're missing a few channels. Do you know of a communication chain that outlines best practices for creating channels? How do Program Channel tags Program tie back to the lead source (aka, where does one pull the information)?

We aren't using UTM parameters at the moment, only "?source=". What are best practices for using UTM parameters in conjunction with Channel Tags?

Thank you!

Danielle

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

Hi Danielle,

I'm with a large enterprise organization with multiple products, so I thought I would share what we do. When we use UTM parameters, we capture both lead source (this field doesn't overwrite so if a lead already has a lead source, it won't change) and lead source most recent (this field is continuously updated). Here's what we track, for example: a net new lead fills out a form from a facebook post to sign up for a webinar (we capture social as both the lead source and lead source most recent). If this lead then goes on to fill out a form from the webinar follow up email, lead source would remain as social, but lead source most recent would be email. Something else we do is capture salesforce campaigns and salesforce campaign most recent. Salesforce campaigns concatenates each salesforce campaign id that a lead is a member in. Salesforce campaign most recent overwrites and shows the most recent campaign that someone is a member in. Hopefully this helps some!