SOLVED

Tracking email clicks in emails without a template

Go to solution
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

Tracking email clicks in emails without a template

we're testing sending out emails without a template to give them an outlook feel, but it looks like this won't track any clicks on a link in that email.  any suggestions?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

Re: Tracking email clicks in emails without a template

We've found out what the problems were, so am sharing here in case others have made teh same mistake.

Basically we've narrowed down the most likely answer to be that I had sent myself a sample, and as such none of the email tracking is included, this is expected behaviour but we missed it.

Also, and this may be obvious but might help others, the link to the template is broken if you change the html code.  so for example, we built an email from a template, then changed the header image in the html code, so as a consequence the original template is no longer being used - but importantly the tracking still works.  As I said, might be obvious to most but we missed it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Do you mean that you used a Blank template and replaced the HTML with custom code?

The tracking should still work.
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

No - Template = NONE.  I'll find out why we didn't use the BLANK template.  Thanks Josh,
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

Josh - I've been diggin in to this; whenever we create an email using the blank template, it defaults ot NONE and under the "Used By" tab it shows the template isnt being used.  have you seen this before?
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

We've found out what the problems were, so am sharing here in case others have made teh same mistake.

Basically we've narrowed down the most likely answer to be that I had sent myself a sample, and as such none of the email tracking is included, this is expected behaviour but we missed it.

Also, and this may be obvious but might help others, the link to the template is broken if you change the html code.  so for example, we built an email from a template, then changed the header image in the html code, so as a consequence the original template is no longer being used - but importantly the tracking still works.  As I said, might be obvious to most but we missed it.