Tracking Conversions that occur outside of a Marketo Form

Parth_Thakkar
Level 2

Tracking Conversions that occur outside of a Marketo Form

Hi All,

I was hoping I could get some best practices / guidance on how one tracks conversions that do not occur via a Marketo Form. A little more background:

• Our funnel works in the following way: 1. A user can optionally book a demo (via a Marketo form, this is setup correctly and works perfectly) 2. A user signs up for a free trial 3. A user enrolls in a paid subscription.
  • Currently we have paid marketing going to our website with 2 CTAs, book a demo and signup (free trial).
  • We have programs set up for each of our paid acq channels.
  • We currently capture and cookie (1st party) the UTMs of a user who arrived via marketing. We used these UTMs to build our smart lists.

I was hoping someone knew the best way to track/tag users who arrive to the site from a marketing channel (ie: FB ads) and sign up/paid subscribe but do not fill out a demo form, and still correctly attribute them to the marketing program that correlates with their marketing source.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking Conversions that occur outside of a Marketo Form

Something important is left out here: how do these direct-to-paid people get into Marketo at all (let aside the attribution)?

Parth_Thakkar
Level 2

Thanks for the response Sanford. So the direct-to-paid people will get into Marketo via the Salesforce Sync. 

Whenever a user official signs-up, their data is saved into salesforce via our back-end as a contact. If they subscribe after that, they are assigned an account and an opty by our backend.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Then ideally it's a question of adding them to a synced SFDC campaign, which will automatically place them in the corresponding Marketo program. That is, after you set up the sync, then the routing happens within SFDC (Process Builder/Workflow/Apex, whatever fits) based on the recent source.