Tracking Clicks in Email

Olivia_Piper
Level 3

Tracking Clicks in Email

Hi all,

I'm using "bulletproof" buttons (Bulletproof email buttons | Campaign Monitor ) in my emails so that they render correctly in Outlook, however, I've noticed that when sent to Outlook the buttons don't have any tracking. I thinks it's because I'm using if mso code. I would put the tracking in manually to each <a> tag but I'm not sure what to put in?

How can I manually add the tracking for each url?

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Tracking Clicks in Email

HI Olivia,

Without the code you are using, we cannot do much to help you.

-Greg

Olivia_Piper
Level 3

Hi Greg,

The code for the buttons is here:

<div>

<!--[if mso]>

<v:roundrect xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" href="http://lenovodcgunleashed.com/offers" style="height:40px;v-text-anchor:middle;width:148px;" arcsize="8%" stroke="f" fillcolor="#333333">

<w:anchorlock/>

<center>

<![endif]-->

<a href="http://lenovodcgunleashed.com/offers" style="font-size: 18px; font-family:'Gotham-bold','Gotham',Arial,sans-serif; font-weight: bold; color: #ffffff; text-decoration: none; display: inline-block; background-color:#333333;border-radius:3px;color:#ffffff;display:inline-block;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:18px;font-weight:bold;line-height:40px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;width:148px;-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;">Special Offers</a>

<!--[if mso]>

</center>

</v:roundrect>

<![endif]-->

</div>

Thanks

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Olivia,

The href have the same value, so this is correct. It would be interesting to look at the code of the email you receive in an HTML interface to see whether or not the URL "http://lenovodcgunleashed.com/offers" has been replaced by a Marketo tracked URL in both places.

It may be that Marketo will replace the second one but not the first one, which would explain the fact that the clicks would be tracked on devices such a s gmail or apple, but not on outlook.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

AFAIK you can't enable tracking on those VML hrefs (which are non-standard links, not As).

Nor can you actually ever add tracking yourself. You can add the *mkt_tok* token yourself (?mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##) but that isn't the same thing. mkt_tok enables web activity tracking: not that this isn't important, but it's not email click tracking. And having click tracking work for some clients and not others is bound to be misleading.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Olivia,

Sanford is confirming what I was suspecting. This only leaves an idea to vote for:

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Sanford,

Yes, I know that. Hence the idea to make them tracking friendly

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Right, it was more to outline the workaround (which is actually beyond what I posted in the thread).

SanfordWhiteman

Grégoire Michel check my updated blog post now. I just fixed it completely -- click tracking and all!