Re: Track days from MQL to SQL without using Revenue Cycle Modeler?

Scott_Kendrick
Level 2

Track days from MQL to SQL without using Revenue Cycle Modeler?

I've been trying to figure out some standard funnel tracking information for 6+ months now with Marketo.  Once we complete our revenue cycle model, it may give me what I need but best I can tell, Revenue Cycle MOdel data will not retro process... meaning it's only good for the point it is implemented forward and any previous data is essentially lost.

Our MQL is defined by a threshold in behavior score and a threshold in demographic score.  Is there a way to calculate average time between Lead to MQL and MQL to SQL for our historic data?

The standard lead reports only calculate days from lead creation to SQL missing the in between step. 

We DO have RCE if that helps us solve this problem.

Thanks

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, please see my presentation with Jeff Coveney from April.

http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/setup-a-lead-lifecycle-and-revenue-cycle-model-1917/

Scott_Kendrick
Level 2

Hi Josh - I appreciate the post as it was helpful, but my question was that since we don't have our model setup yet, how can I determine when something became MQL.  But I do have a question about the blog you shared.  Does revenue cycle modeler (and RCE for that matter) have any awareness of opportunities that don't touch marketing programs?  e.g. sales rep reaches out, qualifies an opportunity within an account and works it through to close?  Does the answer to that question change if the opportunity is created by sales BUT it touches some marketing programs along the way?

The other question I'd like to confirm - is there any way to "retro process" once you have your model created?  You state in your post that you have to wait months so I assume no.  And the other interesting quote was " achieving the vision you were sold so many months ago."... that's our situation... over 6 months ago we implemented, still struggling with getting trustworthy, valuable data out of it, sounds like we'll have to wait another 6 months, and I have an extremely frustrated CEO and CFO.  Has not been a good experience.

In general I continue to find lots of data discrepancies between standard reporting in Marketo, RCE, revenue cycle modeler (we have an old model in place), etc - makes it tough to make any decisions or predict outcomes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have SFDC it might be easier to do it there with date stamps, especially to track down those historical values.

If your SQLs are based on the Opp record, then you should have the Opp Stage history to go by for historical dates. And on the Lead record, as long as you've been tracking Lead Status or some other field you're using to signify MQL it should have a historical date as well.

You can then create a couple of custom date fields for your date stamps, populate them with the historical data, and setup rules (either in Marketo or SFDC) to stamp the dates going forward.

You also want to make sure to map the MQL date on the Lead to the MQL date on the Opp so you don't lose it when converting.

Scott_Kendrick
Level 2

We use SFDC but we dont' track when something becomes MQL.  We have only tracked stages within the opportunity.  Lead status is used to track activity that inside sales is taking to qualify.  I'm wondering if it would be best practice to use Marketo scoring to set a lead status of MQL in SFDC, prior to sales changing that lead to "in Progress" meaning Sales Accepted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! Do that! Because then you'll have a clear date point of when MQL happened, and you can then compare it to other subsequent "In Progress" dates, and conversion dates, etc.