Re: Track Click/Web Behavior Using Marketo ID Parameter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Track Click/Web Behavior Using Marketo ID Parameter

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to track clicks and web visits coming from emails outside of Marketo. Our specific use case is that we have LDRs emailing content pieces to leads individually. I'd like to be able to associate any activity coming from those emails back to the lead. Is it possible to use a Marketo ID parameter or something clever in the hyperlink I give to the LDRs for this purpose?

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Laura,

The best way to do it is to have the SDR send their emails from Marketo, for instance using Sales Insight (from Salesforce, MSD or Outlook).

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grégoire,

Yes, that would be ideal, but we are on an old version of Outlook and getting IT to upgrade us is not in the near-term. I'm looking for a workaround that we can manage ourselves in the marketing department.

Laura

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you must, you can append the lead's email address to every link (https://example.com?email=user@example2.com//example.com?email=user@example2.com), then associate the subsequent web sessions via a hidden Marketo form post.  Better still would be encoding the email address and providing your LDRs the list of encoded addresses to use in their mail merge (?id=dXNlckBleGFtcGxlMi5jb20=) so the lead doesn't see their info so blatantly.  But this latter format may not be feasible for you.

Note this method will never result in logged Click Link in Email activities in Marketo.  That only works if the links are truly tracked, i.e. sent from Marketo.  It will, however, track Visit Web Page and Click Link on Web Page activities to the lead.