SOLVED

Re: Tokens and Commas in Email

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tokens and Commas in Email

I had this problem and followed the suggestion for the answer but did not find the answer satisfactory. Does anyone have a clearer or better explanation for how to do this?

Problem: We are using tokens in an automated email that we send out via a smart campaign. The token is used in the saluation:   Hi {{lead.First Name:default=}}. We have set the default value for this token to [blank] because we do not want Marketo to enter a value in its place; therefore, .

We would like to use a comma in the salutation: "Hi Joe,". The issue we have is with the token. Because we have inserted a space between the word "Hi" and the token, if we send the email to a lead that does not contain a first name field value, the salutation will appear as "Hi ,". Is there anyway to remove this space between the text besides the token and the actual token, when the token has to insert the default value? Would using an "IF" statement in one of the Flow steps fix this issue?

Suggestion: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyp3CAC

Thanks in advance!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Eitan, as Josh mentioned, there isn't a super-simple way to do this. Another thing that we've done is Hi {{lead.first name:Deafult=there}}, so if they don't have a first name it shows "Hi there,"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You might be able to do this with Velocity script. You can also do this by putting in a default value like "Colleague".

You can also use the smart list to block anyone w/o a first name:

First Name IS NOT EMPTY.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Eitan, as Josh mentioned, there isn't a super-simple way to do this. Another thing that we've done is Hi {{lead.first name:Deafult=there}}, so if they don't have a first name it shows "Hi there,"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh - thanks for the suggestion but sounds a bit complicated for me...
Dory - that's very creative! I think I will try that