SOLVED

Token assignment in a flows

Go to solution
lance_spurgeon4
Level 1

Token assignment in a flows

When we assign values to a token within a flow, do these values persist throughout the session? For instance, if a trigger activates for 10 leads, will the newly assigned value remain consistent for all of them within that trigger event?

We're integrating G2 intent data, which has a feature that notifies us when a company views our profile, pricing pages, or other content. It sends data indicating that this company, along with all associated leads and contacts in our SFDC, has shown engagement. Were you can add all these leads and contacts to a drip or nurture campaign to warm up the leads.

Our company heavily uses Slack for alerts, including high-value intent notifications. However, we're encountering an issue where a trigger generates multiple notifications (about 10) for profile visits, even though it might be just one person. I've set up a flow with a webhook to send these notifications. My idea is to assign the website value of the first user who triggers the event to a custom token. Then, at the start of the flow, if subsequent users' website matches this token, they would be excluded from the flow. Do you think this approach would work? Unfortunately, I can't extensively test this as it involves an API push request.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Token assignment in a flows

Well, yes I got your point now.If you want to restrict sending just a single alert, you’d need a webhook based solution, and probably a resource lead as well that would be updated with the channel name and flow through the send alert campaign. One easy way to get around this with a little different solution is to create a People Performance Report with each channel as a custom column that’d filter people if they interacted with the respective channel that day, and creating a report subscription that be sent to the concerned users.

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Also, even if you call a webhook, your webhook-compatible service needs to guarantee that only one of the parallel (or close enough to parallel) requests “wins” and is the one that sends the alert.

In other words, it needs to have some kind of locking/transaction/atomic guarantees, or else 2+ requests could all think they’re first (or none of them could know they were first!).

Not saying this is difficult to implement, but, say, if you UPDATE a database column and then SELECT that column in a separate query, you have to make sure that whole thing is wrapped in a transaction.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1

Well, that’s how Marketo’s campaigns work, the flow gets run for all the people who qualify for the smart list criteria, and while you can control whether the same person could flow through a campaign again or not, you can’t natively control how many times a campaign gets triggered and possibly stop after n people have flowed through it.

Also, as you mentioned, one workaround is to create a smart list to filter who have gotten their field updated with the same value in a narrow time period (use Date of Activity constraint = a couple minutes). You can then use this smart list’s membership as a condition to remove people from the campaign’s flow.

lance_spurgeon4
Level 1

Thanks but how would I block the ones that haven't come via flow before (that belong to the same account or website domain)

Darshil_Shah1

You can use Remove from Campaign flow step for those people. Basically, if they are a member of smart list, then remove from “this campaign”.

lance_spurgeon4
Level 1

I get how to do that, the issues, for example if I have 10 contacts all belonging to the same account come through the flow at once, and I want to send the alert for the first one only and block the others in this case (9) so only one alert is sent.

Darshil_Shah1

Well, yes I got your point now.If you want to restrict sending just a single alert, you’d need a webhook based solution, and probably a resource lead as well that would be updated with the channel name and flow through the send alert campaign. One easy way to get around this with a little different solution is to create a People Performance Report with each channel as a custom column that’d filter people if they interacted with the respective channel that day, and creating a report subscription that be sent to the concerned users.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Also, even if you call a webhook, your webhook-compatible service needs to guarantee that only one of the parallel (or close enough to parallel) requests “wins” and is the one that sends the alert.

In other words, it needs to have some kind of locking/transaction/atomic guarantees, or else 2+ requests could all think they’re first (or none of them could know they were first!).

Not saying this is difficult to implement, but, say, if you UPDATE a database column and then SELECT that column in a separate query, you have to make sure that whole thing is wrapped in a transaction.