Re: Tips for a Summit first-timer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tips for a Summit first-timer?

Hi all! I will be attending the Marketo Summit for the first time, and wanted to know what advice you have for a Summit newbie. Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Great that you will be attending!

1. Comfy Shoes

2. Plan an A option and a B option for sessions because sessions fill up

3. Meet as many people as you can

4. Attend the parties but try to get rest for the next day.

Oh and the Krewechats episode on this is great: #KreweChat Episode 16: Marketo Summit 

See you there!

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Joe Reitz​ and the #krewechats​ gang also did a video podcast on this recently: #KreweChats Episode 16: Marketo Summit! - YouTube

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Last year was my first Summit and I'm attending next month.

- One thing I noticed is that you may be standing/walking for quite a bit of time before getting to sit down, so I'd make sure you take short breaks to stretch out

- I'd also recommend a quick nap after sessions end for the day and before the parties that night begin

- Research beforehand which sessions you want to attend so you can plan your days accordingly. If other colleagues are also attending Summit, attend different sessions to cover the most topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good questions! This will be my third Summit, but I'm still very interested in the answers here!

A few thoughts:

• I second the KreweChat episode and the note about comfy shoes!
  • Plan your sessions in advance! (And, like Darrell said, have a plan B ready.) Summit is full of people and super fast-paced. The Summit app is really helpful with this. (Anyone know if it's ready yet?)
  • Arrive with a list of questions you want answered. This will help you pick sessions AND give you something to chat about while you wait in line.
  • Think about whether you need to go to technical sessions or more general sessions. If you go to technical sessions, make sure your instance has the features they're discussing (newbie mistake my first year!).
  • Check to see if there's a meet-up that's relevant to you: The Marketing Nation Summit, April 23-26, 2017 – Marketo - Sessions
  • There's a good-sized break before the Marketing Nation Party. If you want to explore the area for a couple of hours, that's a good time to do it!
  • Speaking of exploring, do folks know if there are any official or unofficial activities on Sunday as people are arriving? [If so, take advantage!]
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great tips! I was curious about the app myself and was told that they'll be launching it a little closer to the event and will send the download information via email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, don't forget that the sessions and slides are all available afterward! This is good to remember because:

1. You won't panic when your first choice is full
  2. It's easier to share what you learned at Summit afterward

When the app comes out, I mark ALL of the sessions I'm interested in attending so I can go back and watch what I didn't attend in person later (or re-watch on I did attend!)

Lauren_Linsalat
Level 2

I second everything everyone has said so far, but also - last year was my first summit, and I found the University day 100% just as valuable/educational as the entire rest of summit itself. If you have the budget/opportunity to sign up for University day, I would say to add it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all your tips. Does anyone know if there are any sessions or events specifically geared to first-time attendees? It could be fun to meet fellow first-timers, especially as the conference kicks off.