SOLVED

Re: The record you were editing was by modified by Marketo during your edit session

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The record you were editing was by modified by Marketo during your edit session

Hi There!
Our SFDC Users are getting this error atlest 10 times in few hours and it is really a huge waste of their time.

Background:
We just installed Marketo before few weeks and we never started sending any emails yet. So for now, all it does is sync the data from SFDC. No updates from Marketo is done. But still during every sync, it looks the SFDC record.

Actions we took:
We read the article posted by Marketo. SFDC Users are doing only inline editing which does reduce the frequency at all.
SFDC user have to edit many fields when are editing one record. It is rediculous to ask them to save everytime when they are editing every field. Also everytime a contact is saved, we have a huge list of triggers that fires for various business processes. Its going to be a huge overload to the system too.

I am sure many of you would have faced the same issue because this is a huge bug - locking the records for every sync even when there is no updates from Marketo side that is pushed to SFDC.

Any advice? Is increasing the sync interval is the only solution?

Thanks in Advance!
Vidhya
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The record you were editing was by modified by Marketo during your edit session

I still think that Marketo is updating the record while the it is open for editing in Salesforce.  I tried to reproduce your error by making a small change in the SFDC record and leaving it open in the editor for over an hour before I saved the change, but it was saved without an error.  During this time, Marketo synched multiple times with Salesforce, but since no changes were made to the lead record that I was editing in Salesforce, Marketo did not synch to this record and there was no error.  Can you paste a screen shot of what you are seeing in the Activity Log for a lead that generates this error?  Please be sure that the Filter in the Activity Log is set to "None".

0EM50000000PsSy.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you have a smart campaign (perhaps one of your smart campaigns that updates one or more of the fields you use for your business processes) that is being triggered or scheduled to run frequently on large numbers of records.   Take a look at the Activity Log of one of the leads that your sales team says was updated while they were editing the record and see which smart campaign is causing the change.  You may need to adjust the trigger or schedule to correct this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reply!
Now that you say, I doubt our Data Management Triggers we created might be causing the issues.
Will dig deeper into the issues.

Thanks for showing me some way to approch the issue!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still think that Marketo is updating the record while the it is open for editing in Salesforce.  I tried to reproduce your error by making a small change in the SFDC record and leaving it open in the editor for over an hour before I saved the change, but it was saved without an error.  During this time, Marketo synched multiple times with Salesforce, but since no changes were made to the lead record that I was editing in Salesforce, Marketo did not synch to this record and there was no error.  Can you paste a screen shot of what you are seeing in the Activity Log for a lead that generates this error?  Please be sure that the Filter in the Activity Log is set to "None".

0EM50000000PsSy.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

To give some more light on my issue,
The error occurs when the sfdc user chaged a data value of the record or created new contact before few minus & again tried to edit some more fields after few min. So the marketo is trying to update the 1st sfdc data value change in middle when they are doing the 2nd set of changes.

We do have a trigger in marketo that checks for a data value change in one particular field which is scheduled 'Each Lead can run through the flow every time'. This trigger checks for the data value change in one custom field which is not visible/editable by sfdc users & then updates another custom field which is read only to sfdc users.

My guess is this trigger is firing for all the field change sync some how even though the particualr custom field is not modified & hence blocking the record.

Here is the sample activity log which shows all the data point changed by sfdc user & not by any marketo smart campaigns/triggers.
0EM50000000PsT8.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I got it!
Its not the trigger which I am suspecting!

Its the activity "Sync Lead Updates to SFDC" which writes Marketo Source Info & Source Type field back to SFDC.
These fields were not syncing before and we fixed the issue yesterday.
We have over 100K leads in marketo which had these fields not synced before.
So I think these field is trying to sync back to SFDC only when there is a change in SFDC is fired.
May be if I contact marketo support and ask them to initiate these field sync as a bulk one time update insted of firing every time only when a contact is updated, it should fix my issue!

Thank you so much!
Your efforts were really helpful!
I really appriciate it 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vidhya, glad to hear that you have a better idea of what was causing the problem.