Syncing Anonymous Leads with SFDC Contacts

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Re: Syncing Anonymous Leads with SFDC Contacts

Yes, that is correct. If you have a hidden form field _mkt_trk and the Munchkin on the page, it should automatically put the Cookie ID in that hidden field. I'm not sure if you can easily do that with a SFDC web-to-lead form (or whichever form you're using). If not, you can always use custom JavaScript to read the cookie and save it in a hidden field. 

Localhost URL works on my Pod and should in principle work on all Pods (haven't tested it on all Pods though). 

By the way: the response to the webhook call is a 302 error code. That's not really an error: it's just a redirect, which the webhook can't follow. It does actually work: you will be able to see the web page visits in the Lead record now. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution looked very simple and gave this a try, however, it does not work for me. I'm getting... "HTTP Error 404: URL not found."

pastedImage_2.png

help?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can you post the rest of that screenshot (including the generated webhook URL)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

here it is:

pastedImage_0.png

what do you think? will we be able to get this to work?

SanfordWhiteman

Looks right.  Still works on my test pod (app-sj01) but maybe it's finally been disabled on your pod as it is officially unsupported, as noted above.

Note that you don't need to use the loopback /save endpoint anyway.  You can just bounce off a remote webhook back into the /save2 endpoint. Thjs always works. 

(BTW your Munchkin ID is readable by the public, so there's no reason to obfuscate it here!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the advice. The guy above did so I did the same. (hide the id) thought it was private stuff

Sorry but What do you mean by "You can just bounce off a remote webhook back into the /save2 endpoint." ?

do you mean change the url to index.php/leadCapture/save2 ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

tried it anyways, gave me "operation timeout" this time

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

Hi thanks for the advice. The guy above did so I did the same. (hide the id) thought it was private stuff

It's publicly readable on your website, so not really.

Sorry but What do you mean by "You can just bounce off a remote webhook back into the /save2 endpoint." ?

do you mean change the url to index.php/leadCapture/save2 ??

You can't connect directly to the /save2 endpoint from behind the Marketo firewall.  This is a network-related restriction that unfortunately impacts what you're trying to do here (and which hitting /save via localhost used to work around).

But there's no problem calling out to a remote webhook that in turn calls back in (like any other remote connection).  For example, switch to the demo endpoint I just put up at http://app-ab14.marketo.com.formloop.teknkl.com/index.php/leadCapture/save2

Note that any such method is a server-side form post and as such as restricted to 30 posts per second, if that is something that concerns you.  Really the better approach is to make sure that leads are created in Marketo directly, so you don't have to worry about this.  I've seen many people go down the wrong road with SFDC-integrated or standalone forms and get into exactly the same mess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you very much for your time with me. I tried your solution using zapier webhooks it's giving me "returned (400) 1 and said "{leadCapture/save2} Approved form not found: " error now

SanfordWhiteman

I can't comment on how you've set up your Zap -- you may have miscapitalized a field -- but you can see it works with the endpoint I provided.