Re: Sync to SFDC failure due to company missing

Cheral_Jansen
Level 2

Sync to SFDC failure due to company missing

If a sync to SFDC fails because a company name is missing, shouldn't this record sync again (this time successfully) if the company name is added at a later date? I'm seeing a number of records with a failed sync that are not resyncing later after the company name is added. Thought I'd check in the community before opening a support case.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Cheral Jansen,

These leads will sync again only if you ask for it through a smart campaign either with a "sync lead with SFDC" or a "change program status" flow step (for the second one, provided that the program is synchronized with an SFDC campaign).

If this is a recurring issue, you can create a smart campaign with the following characteristics :

• smart list :
    • trigger : data value changes. Attribute: company + constraint: old value is empty + constraint new value is not empty
    • filter (Optional): was synced to SFDC, remove all constraints.
  • flow step:
    • sync lead to SFDC

-Greg

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hi Cheral,

You can prevent this issue from happening by going into Admin> Salesforce> Sync Options and setting a default value for the Default Lead Company, such as "Unknown" or "Not Provided."  Marketo will pass this value in the sync when the company name is not otherwise provided, which will prevent the sync from breaking.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Cheral,

I am going to be blunt: this feature causes far more problem than it solves. It always ends with sales screaming that all these leads with the same dummy company name are useless. So advising people to use it is not a service to make...

-Greg

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Hi Cheral Jansen‌, so glad you created this discussion. As we are having issue that leads without "Last Name" "Company" were able to sync to SFDC. We weren't sure why based on the SFDC validation rules. And after I reached out Marketo support, the response is related to Javascript on the form. But from the response, we found out why. Wondering which way you went to. 

Grégoire Michel‌ we experienced what you mentioned. Sales got annoeyed based on those "Not Provided" records. I would like to remove the current setting we have under Marketo Admin Salesforce> Sync Options. However, I am wondering what are the issues we may face afterword. Except the issue Cheral brought it up, are there any you could think of to advice us?

Thank you!

Becky

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Yun Bai‌ no issues, other than that records without Company or Last Name will not sync and you'll need to create a Smart Campaign as Gregoire suggested to 're-sync' those records once the missing data is filled in. 

To make it more sophisticated, you could even exclude records with blank Company/Last Name from your main "Sync to SFDC" Smart Campaign by adding filters, to avoid getting an SFDC error in the first place. Then later - when both fields are populated - you can sync at that time using a different Smart Campaign: 

• smart list :
    • trigger : data value changes. Attribute: company, new value is not empty
    • trigger : data value changes. Attribute: last name, , new value is not empty
    • filter: SFDC Type is empty
    • filter: Company is not empty
    • filter: Last Name is not empty
  • flow step:
    • sync lead to SFDC
  • schedule
    • run every 1 hour/day