SOLVED

Sync Person to SFDC Flow step on the Contact Object (Duplicates?)

Go to solution
Dylan_Yip-Chuck
Level 2

Sync Person to SFDC Flow step on the Contact Object (Duplicates?)

I'd like to get some clarity on the Flow step "Sync Person to SFDC" and when its necessary to use, vs. allowing the regular Marketo<>SFDC sync to sync data between the two systems. Particularly as it pertains to Contacts. 
sync-person-to-sfdc.png

If I am understanding this article correctly, the warning suggests that if this Flow step is taken on an existing Contact, then a duplicate Lead object record will be created and pushed to SFDC. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.41.52 AM.png

Is that the case? The reason I question this, is because this other article about the Contact object and syncing recommends using this Flow step if you need to manually force a sync of a Contact to SFDC. However, there's no warning message here about creating a duplicate Lead record. Additionally, this community discussion thread suggests that if you try to sync a person to SFDC who already exists, it will not create a duplicate. 

Can someone please clarify this contradiction? 

Overall, I am trying to determine when it's the right time to use this Flow step vs. allow data to sync automatically. Should I always include this at the end of my Smart Campaigns that involve data stamping on Lead/Contact fields?

When a campaign updates someone's fields in Marketo, my current understanding is that this doesn't automatically push the data to SFDC until either: A. The standard Marketo<>SFDC sync occurs (which usually happens every 5-10min), or B. the "Sync Person to SFDC" flow step is used. If a change happens to occur over in SFDC at the same time, then SFDC data takes precedence on the Contact object (article). So does it makes sense to mitigate any risk that the newly stamped data won't make it to SFDC for Contacts and just add this Flow step whenever a campaign contains field stamping steps?

Thanks in advance!

Dylan Yip-Chuck
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Re: Sync Person to SFDC Flow step on the Contact Object (Duplicates?)

Hello @Dylan_Yip-Chuck ,

You have a lot of questions to tackle here. I'll start by tackling the main concern:

• This flow step will only create a Duplicate when:
    • You use a SFDC contact and pick from the Users (table) a "queue".
    • Using the Auto-assign Rules default will not create a dupe.

Flow step "Sync Person to SFDC" and when its necessary to use, vs. allowing the regular Marketo<>SFDC sync to sync data between the two systems

• First you have to understand how the sync works before tackling the best practices.
  • There are two general ways records are kept in sync.
    • Using flowsteps such as this one
    • Or via operations that leverage Bi-directional sync
      • e.g.  This type of connection: 
        • Marketo Program <-> SFDC Campaign 
  • Overall all you need something to start the sync off.  It can be either of the two process.

Marketo<>SFDC sync occurs (which usually happens every 5-10min

a change happens to occur over in SFDC at the same time, then SFDC data takes precedence on the Contact object (article).

• The Timestamp is when the Data Value changed occurred, not necessarily when you push/pull.
  • Timestamping would be better suited for things like when a record:
    • Reached milestone A,b,c, or gave Opt-in consent, etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Re: Sync Person to SFDC Flow step on the Contact Object (Duplicates?)

Hello @Dylan_Yip-Chuck ,

You have a lot of questions to tackle here. I'll start by tackling the main concern:

• This flow step will only create a Duplicate when:
    • You use a SFDC contact and pick from the Users (table) a "queue".
    • Using the Auto-assign Rules default will not create a dupe.

Flow step "Sync Person to SFDC" and when its necessary to use, vs. allowing the regular Marketo<>SFDC sync to sync data between the two systems

• First you have to understand how the sync works before tackling the best practices.
  • There are two general ways records are kept in sync.
    • Using flowsteps such as this one
    • Or via operations that leverage Bi-directional sync
      • e.g.  This type of connection: 
        • Marketo Program <-> SFDC Campaign 
  • Overall all you need something to start the sync off.  It can be either of the two process.

Marketo<>SFDC sync occurs (which usually happens every 5-10min

a change happens to occur over in SFDC at the same time, then SFDC data takes precedence on the Contact object (article).

• The Timestamp is when the Data Value changed occurred, not necessarily when you push/pull.
  • Timestamping would be better suited for things like when a record:
    • Reached milestone A,b,c, or gave Opt-in consent, etc.