SOLVED

Re: Survey Monkey and Custom Objects

Go to solution
Sarah_Way1
Level 2

Survey Monkey and Custom Objects

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to Marketo, and our integration with our CRM is almost completed. The majority of our data is housed in custom objects (we have our products in one, our sales reps in another, our billing in another, etc.). I've been doing a lot of research lately about Velocity and email scripting and I have a question regarding an integration with SurveyMonkey.

In order to include data from Marketo in each survey response, you have to use a token in the URL. Can you use Velocity and email scripting to identify these tokens? For example, if we are doing a customer service survey about someone's latest purchase and the rep who sold it to them, is there a way to identify that if the data is included in a custom object?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Yes, you can pull that from your custom objects with velocity scripting http://developers.marketo.com/email-scripting/ .  There are tokens that you can use in the script for each of your custom fields on the object.  Be sure to read the notes at the bottom of the doc here for very important info on how to set up URLs correct inside velocity scripts.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sarah Way​,

Are your custom objects in Marketo our your CRM? I am guessing your CRM as that is how most people have their systems set up.

Sarah_Way1
Level 2

Yes the custom objects are in our CRM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sarah Way

Sorry for the delay. I was going to respond right away to you but the community went down for some reason.

Anyway, from my understanding you cannot write to Custom Objects in your CRM through Marketo because Marketo can only "Read" the Custom Object field values. The only way you could get around this would be to create Custom Fields in Marketo and write your survey results to those, then make your Custom Object fields in your CRM be a lookup to the Marketo Custom Fields values.

It is super unfortunate that Marketo and CRM Custom Objects do not fully sync to have Edit capability, but at this time they do not.

Thanks,

Carley Donovan

Sarah_Way1
Level 2

Thanks for the response.

I'm not trying to write to a custom object. The survey results are kept in SurveyMonkey. With the Marketo integration with SurveyMonkey, you can include some information from the CRM in with the survey results. So when I download the results from SurveyMonkey, the info from the CRM is included, as seen below.

pastedImage_0.png

The URL for the survey includes tokens: www.surveymonkey.com/r/123456?marketo_lead_id={{lead.id}}&first_name={{lead.First Name}}&last_name={{lead.Last Name}}&email={{lead.Email Address}}&phone={{lead.Phone Number}}. My question is can I use an email script token in that URL.

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Hi Sarah

Yes, you can leverage velocity scripting to insert the details from your CRM custom objects in your email. However, you will have to ensure that they are sync'ed with Marketo.

Go to Admin > Salesforce/Dynamics Custom Objects Sync and look for your custom objects. If they are not synced, you can do that by following the steps from here: SFDC Sync: Custom Object Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

pastedImage_0.png

Once the object is synced, verify if it is appearing in your Script token editor. Start creating a new Email Script token and you will see the list of available custom objects on the right. If your object is not in the list, something would have to be changed in the way your custom objects sync with lead & contact in the CRM.

pastedImage_2.png

Let me know if you need more details.

Sarah_Way1
Level 2

Thanks for the info Rachit. I know I can use them in an email. What I'm unsure of is if I can use them in a SurveyMonkey URL to include data in the survey results.

For example, if I am doing a survey about a specific product sold by a specific sales rep, I would like to include that product and that sales rep in the results so we can look at the results of the survey and have the information from the CRM included in the results. When setting up the survey, this is the URL you use:

www.surveymonkey.com/r/123456?marketo_lead_id={{lead.id}}&first_name={{lead.First Name}}&last_name={{lead.Last Name}}&email={{lead.Email Address}}&phone={{lead.Phone Number}}

You can see the tokens there, but those are basic tokens. We would want to include custom tokens with information from a custom object.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Yes, you can pull that from your custom objects with velocity scripting http://developers.marketo.com/email-scripting/ .  There are tokens that you can use in the script for each of your custom fields on the object.  Be sure to read the notes at the bottom of the doc here for very important info on how to set up URLs correct inside velocity scripts.