SOLVED

Suppressing Non-mailable Leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suppressing Non-mailable Leads

I want to exclude all of the non-mailable leads from all e-mailing Smart Campaigns in future, so they won't even be qualified to run through the flow and won't be visible in "Schedule" tab. Is there a safe and smart way to do this? Any best practices?

Case: We have a pretty big database in Marketo, but a huge part of it is non-mailable (Unsubscribed, Email Address is empty, Email Invalid etc.) forming this annoying number that appears when i schedule a Smart Campaign: "set to affect 500K leads, 30K leads are blocked from mailing". It prevents us from seeing the actual number of leads without calculation, and also increases the campaign count time.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suppressing Non-mailable Leads

The easiest way I've found is to create a global suppression Smart List in the Lead Database with your various filters (email is empty, email is invalid, unsubscribed, etc.), and be sure to include a filter in every email campaign that says:

Member of Smart List NOT IN Global Suppression

That'll keep them from even showing up in your Schedule tab. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way to get this done.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest way I've found is to create a global suppression Smart List in the Lead Database with your various filters (email is empty, email is invalid, unsubscribed, etc.), and be sure to include a filter in every email campaign that says:

Member of Smart List NOT IN Global Suppression

That'll keep them from even showing up in your Schedule tab. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way to get this done.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Drew, a great idea indeed!

I was also thinking of creating a custom "true/false" Emailable filter instead of smart list and populating it conditionally, e.g. when email is empty, then Emailable is false. What do you think about it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would definitely work as well, Elena. I guess you'd just have to have some triggered campaigns setup to move leads in and out of that "emailable" status. That's not dissimilar from some campaigns I've seen out there where folks are moving their leads in and out of Marketing Suspended status based on activity, inactivity, email bounces, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thank you for your help Drew!
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

I use Drew's method and it works well! We've never had any problems with it.