SOLVED

Re: strange problem with engagement program

Go to solution
mainata
Level 2

strange problem with engagement program

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly simple engagement program, but it still doesn't work as expected.

There are three streams. An email is sent in the first stream. There are two topics with CTAs in the email. If you click the CTA for topic 1, you will be taken to stream 2 and should receive an email about topic one. If you click the CTA for topic two in the first email, you will be taken to stream three and should receive the email for topic two. If you click on both CTAs you should receive both emails on both topics.

Apparently everything works except for one “small thing”. So the first email arrives and when I click on the CTAs, I am pushed accordingly to stream 2 or stream 3. The problem is that the emails are not being sent. As far as I know, if you are pushed in a stream, the email is sent automatically without having to define any extra triggers for it. I've tried various tests, but I can't find the cause. Am I missing something or is the whole thing not as simple as I imagined?

mainata_0-1702378192656.png

mainata_1-1702378213408.png

Any help is welcome!

Thank you in advance for your support!

Best regards
mainata

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Hello! Well, that isn’t a problem/bug- that is how Marketo’s Engagement Program work. The trigger based stream transition rules only pull people into the respective stream. Once added, the person won’t be sent an email until the next cast (as configured for the respective stream). The people added to the stream 2/3 in your case would receive the content during the next cadence. If you want to send an auto-responder kind of email where in people are sent email as soon as they do something, you can setup a trigger smart campaign for it. Do you have more content that you’d be adding to streams? Looking at what you currently have and your requirements regarding sending email as soon as someone clicks the CTA doesn’t appear to be a good use case for an engagement program— you can use the Default program for this. Also, this has been discussed earlier on the Marketing Nation, but sending emails based on a click activity that could likely be from a bot/email scanner isn’t recommended at all! You should send emails based on form fills instead.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Darshil_Shah1

Hello! Well, that isn’t a problem/bug- that is how Marketo’s Engagement Program work. The trigger based stream transition rules only pull people into the respective stream. Once added, the person won’t be sent an email until the next cast (as configured for the respective stream). The people added to the stream 2/3 in your case would receive the content during the next cadence. If you want to send an auto-responder kind of email where in people are sent email as soon as they do something, you can setup a trigger smart campaign for it. Do you have more content that you’d be adding to streams? Looking at what you currently have and your requirements regarding sending email as soon as someone clicks the CTA doesn’t appear to be a good use case for an engagement program— you can use the Default program for this. Also, this has been discussed earlier on the Marketing Nation, but sending emails based on a click activity that could likely be from a bot/email scanner isn’t recommended at all! You should send emails based on form fills instead.

mainata
Level 2

Hi @Darshil_Shah1,

thanks for your answer! This helps me and I understand where the problem is.

I have a quick question about what I also find problematic in my scenario. The wish is that if you click on both topics in the first mailing, you will also receive both follow-up emails from stream 2 and 3. But that probably wouldn't be possible because you're either in stream 2 or in stream 3. You can't be in both at the same time, and you can never receive both follow-up mailings, but only one. Maybe you could control this with extra smart campaigns, but basically it's not a good use case for an engagement program, is it?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
mainata

Darshil_Shah1

Well, the person would end up being in the stream for which they qualified at the last (due to the latter activity)! People would be sent the email if they're in the stream during its cadence (of course, they need to be marketable and shouldn't have reached their daily or weekly communication limits, if set). The email won't be sent immediately; it'll be sent only during the respective stream's cast. I would still re-iterate that it may not be a good idea to send emails based on just CTA clicks due to the possibility of false positives (even with the bot filtering turned on).

mainata
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1, by the way, I don't want the follow-up emails to go right away with a click. I only had the timing like that for the test. The follow-up emails should usually go out a few days later. That's why I was surprised that nothing arrived. Now I'll test it with one day delay. Let's see if it works properly

Darshil_Shah1

Thank you for the details, @mainata! You can probably use a wait step or stamp the date on the field when the email needs to go out, and then use it to send emails using a batch campaign instead of using engagement program for this.

mainata
Level 2

Hi @Darshil_Shah1,

thank you very much for your time and your help! I can appreciate that!

I still have to ask a question because I can't quite understand it yet.

I created another test yesterday.

mainata_1-1702460154529.png

mainata_0-1702460300632.png

Mailing 1 went out yesterday. I got it and clicked the two CTAs. I have scheduled stream 2 and stream 3 for today. Unfortunately I didn't receive either Mailng 2 or Mailing 3 today. They should go out at 8:30 and 8:35.

That would be the next Cadens right?

I don't know this Marketo logic from any other Tool. Can you please just briefly list the steps for me so that I can understand it better, e.g.

= Tue 6:20 PM - Mailing 1 will be sent
= CTAs in Mailng 1 are clicked
= Mailing 2 should arrive???

Because my understanding is that if you are pushed into stream 2 and you are on Wed. 08:30 AM still in stream 2, then you should also receive mailing 2.

I can't explain why mailings 2 and 3 don't arrive. Will they not arrive until Wednesday next week?

Thank you again for your support and patience!

with kind regards
mainata

mainata
Level 2

Hi @Darshil_Shah1,

Sorry to bother you, but one of our customers is having this issue with the Engagement Program. They planned to increase their use of engagement programs and this would be their first engagement program. They are of course very disappointed that marketo cannot cope with such easy logic and the bad thing from a UX perspective is that there is neither correct and clear documentation nor any videos. Of course, it's hard for me to defend Marketo to customers in this case if I can't make a reasonable statement as to why it doesn't work that way. According to the simple description provided by Marketo, if a person is pulled into a stream, they should receive the email on the set date and time, but that doesn't happen.

That's why I'll be very happy if you or anyone who knows can explain to me why it doesn't work like that and what should I say to our customers.

I also realize that this scenario with 2-3 mailings is not optimal for an engagement program, but that is another topic that I will discuss with our customers. Personally, I thought it was that way at the beginning, but my goal now is to sort out the problem with the email delivery. Because if such simple basic things are not clarified, then it is difficult to build on them 😉

Thank you for your understanding and help

with kind regards
mainata

Darshil_Shah1

According to the simple description provided by Marketo, if a person is pulled into a stream, they should receive the email on the set date and time, but that doesn't happen.

Yes, that's still the case, but given that the person is still emailable, and by emailable, I mean:

1. Unsubscribed = False
  2. Marketing Suspended = False
  3. Email Invalid = False
  4. Block Listed = False
  5. Email Address = non-empty valid email
  6. Haven't reached the set daily/weekly communication limits set in the Admin > Communication Limits

Are you able to verify all of the above and the email being non-operational (i.e., Operational Flag in the Email Settings not marked) and that the person was in stream 2 when the cadence was run?

mainata
Level 2

Hello @Darshil_Shah1,

many thanks for your response!

Yes, I'm testing with my email address and I'm already getting the first email with the two topics, so 1 to 5 are all checked. The set daily/weekly communication limits are 2 per day and 5 per week, so I should have received the FolloUp emails yesterday, or at least one of them since I was on Stream 3 at the time.
Are there other possibilities why the emails are not arriving?

I tested the whole thing once in our customer's environment and then again in our environment. I have the same failure in both accounts.

Every clue counts. Thank you!

Best regards
mainata