SOLVED

Re: Standardized country names, commas causing issues

Go to solution
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Standardized country names, commas causing issues

With SFDC becoming our source of truth, we standardized countries based on the standard list that SFDC provides. This was a fairly easy implementation in SFDC but it is becoming a minor headache in Marketo due to the fact that some countries are listed with a comma in the name, such as "Congo, the Democratic Republic of the". This is a non-issue for the assets working off of Forms 2.0 since in that countries are added on a new line, but in 1.0, they're still added inline and are separated by commas.

I've tried putting the country name in quotes, but the quotes are then displayed and the comma in the middle of the quotations results in it still splitting the value into two lines.

Easiest solution would be to finish migrating all assets to Forms 2.0 and then make the change there, but since we can't wait for that due to sync issues, what other options do I have for inserting country names that include a comma and preventing them from getting split into two lines?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

can you use the \ escape?

Why not use a standardizer in Marketo or SFDC? Congo=Congo, Democratic

or better yet, standardize the picklist in SFDC to the correct ISO names and ISO codes.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

can you use the \ escape?

Why not use a standardizer in Marketo or SFDC? Congo=Congo, Democratic

or better yet, standardize the picklist in SFDC to the correct ISO names and ISO codes.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

The backslash escape doesn't work either, but great idea.

I've built standardizers in Marketo so it sounds like that'll be the way to go. I was hoping to make it more preventative so that the system wouldn't have to react to the inaccurate data as much.

Also, while this specific use case is resolved, it would still be a good tidbit on how to handle commas in a list. Perhaps Grégoire Michel​ has some ideas too?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

On how to handle commas in a list in general, I have not idea, i fact...

Or I have one, but you may not like it: move every one to a French version of windows, and list separators will by default be semi-columns

In SFDC, though, the Std Country Picklist has a few values with commas, including this one. But you can change these values in SFDC (setup -> administer -> Data Management -> State and Country picklist) and you could remove the commas in SFDC (and in Marketo).

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Yeah sounds like we're all on the same page then about how to proceed. Thanks Josh Hill​ and Greg for the input!